cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the email address in the file request upload window good for?

What is the email address in the file request upload window good for?

nugman
Explorer | Level 4

I created a file request and use the link to give users and guests of my website the opportunity to upload images into my dropbox.

Before uploading the images the user has to type in his/her name and email address. Then the files are uploaded and I get a notification.

So far so good...

But: where is the email that the uploader provided in the upload page used for? Neither the user get's a notification (for which the address could be used) nor I see that address in the upload notification.

The email address is even a mandatory data in the upload page. But why if the email address is not used furthermore?

And more important for me: Is there any way to see/get that email address that the uploader provided?

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @nugman, thanks for joining the Community and happy 2023!

Have you tried navigating to your file requests on this page and checking the submitters and their email addresses from there? 

Also, do people who are uploading to your file requests have a Dropbox account too?

Note that an uploader must meet the following conditions to receive email notifications after uploading a file to a file request:

1. Uploading is done while logged into a verified Dropbox account

2. The uploader is not logged in, but their email address is linked to a verified Dropbox account

Uploaders will not receive an email confirmation if one of the above conditions does not apply. By doing this, we ensure Dropbox notifications are delivered to Dropbox users and do not get mistaken for spam.

I hope this helps a tad and please keep me posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

nugman
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Walter, happy new year to you too ðŸ˜Š

I checked the uploads and in the "Info" of the file(s) I see my name(!!!) as uploader (Uploaded by). Also under "Activity" I see "You added the file". But that's not true - the file was uploaded by someone else who does not have a DropBox account (or at least was'nt logged in if he has one).

So the e-mail is only used to check that the uploader has a DropBox account?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @nugman, apologies for the delay in our response here.

We understand there are requests to surface the file request submitter's information. 

Our engineers are aware of this request. It is currently on their radar for features that need improvement.

A resolution for this issue may come at a later date, but I don’t have a timeline right now. 

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    nugman Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?