cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I upload into a shared folder?

Why can't I upload into a shared folder?

StevieP
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was invited by another Dropbox user to share files with him into folders on his account that he created. He pays for a ton of storage. But when I upload anything into his folder, it counts against my basic, free account and I keep getting a 'run out of storage' error. How can I share files with the user requesting them and use HIS storage and not mine? Thanks so much!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @StevieP, thanks for joining the Community!

The Dropbox quota is calculated based on the total contents of your Dropbox, which includes shared folders.

As every member of a shared folder can add and modify the files in the shared folder, the shared folder takes up space in each member's account. 

If you need to upload files to their account, they can create a file request for you to do so, without using up any of your quota.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Mod note: updated links in post [last update 2023]

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @StevieP, thanks for joining the Community!

The Dropbox quota is calculated based on the total contents of your Dropbox, which includes shared folders.

As every member of a shared folder can add and modify the files in the shared folder, the shared folder takes up space in each member's account. 

If you need to upload files to their account, they can create a file request for you to do so, without using up any of your quota.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Mod note: updated links in post [last update 2023]

Jay
dropbox.com/support

DragonUser3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

I am invited to a shared Dropbox folder. I can enter the shared folder with a link in the webapp. But I can't enter the shared folder when I enter it in the desktop app, because it says I need more space. Also, when I enter the folder via the link, I can open and download the files. But I am not able to upload any files. 

I have no Dropbox abonnement. My friends also do not have an abonnement, but they can upload files and open the files via the desktop app. I would like to upload files in this shared folder like my friends.

Please can you help me? Thanks in advance.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @DragonUser3, thanks for posting to our Community! 

Can you clarify if you've been invited directly to the shared folder, or if you're using a shared link to access it? 

If you're using a shared link, you shouldn't have the ability to upload content to it. 

Also, can you check your account's quota here, and let me know? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

retiredbutstillworking
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am not the owner of the folder but was invited to join and am the only one uploading documents to the folder. I got a message I've reached my maximum space and must upgrade.  I assumed the owner had to upgrade so I could get more space.  How does Dropbox work? I'm confused

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @retiredbutstillworking 

Unfortunately you've assumed wrong. Shared folders use up the quota of everybody inside the folder so if you are a member of it you also need to have enough space to access it 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

retiredbutstillworking
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you @StevieP.  So I've been uploading a lot of pdf documents to DropBox which is shared by 5 other people.  Can they all view the documents I've uploaded up to now?  After I upgrade to more storage space, will they also need to upgrade their DropBox account in order to retrieve the documents I'm uploading.  Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.  Before retiring, I work at an office with 6 tech people onsite to help with stuff like this.  You're like "HelpDesk" to me now. 

retiredbutstillworking
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ok, I'll upgrade my account from free to professional.  Should I notify the other members that they'll also need to upgrade in order to view the documents I've uploaded to our shared folder?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @retiredbutstillworking, sorry to jump in here. 

Have they also notified you that they have issues with their Dropbox space, after sharing content with them? 

If not, they don’t need to upgrade their account right away, but they can do so later on, if they run out of space, as well.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    retiredbutstillworking New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?