cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I have a duplicate Dropbox folder?

Why do I have a duplicate Dropbox folder?

Blackbamboo
Explorer | Level 3

I had to reset my Dropbox password recently and for some reason upon signing in again on my Mac it seems to have duplicated my Dropbox folder.  I wasn't aware of this at first but it seems I've been saving some files in what seems to be the unlinked folder and some in the linked one.   I have no idea how or why this happened and there was no period of copying or downloading that I noticed.  The old one seems to be in ~Library/CloudStorage along with the new one.  The new active on of course has the Dropbox logo beside it.  'Get Info' doesn't give me the folder size of the old one but the size of the CloudStorage folder is under double the new Dropbox folder.  This is slightly suspicious.  Obviously my concern is losing documents and now figuring out a way of picking out files that are only updated in the old offline folder.  This could take hours.  

Is there a neat way of merging both folders with priority set to keep all new updated files?

Thanks

11 Replies 11

Blackbamboo
Explorer | Level 3

That's a shame.  We trust Dropbox with out files and organisation.  It's very frustrating to learn that it can break so spectacularly from just changing a password.  Perhaps it should be looked in to?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

We appreciate the feedback on this matter. 

We take all comments into consideration when improving the Dropbox site and services.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Blackbamboo Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?