cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Wrong file in shared folder, dangerous!

Wrong file in shared folder, dangerous!

k6ncx
Explorer | Level 4

I Created a new folder and files in it, and shared the folder. When they open a file, they see the contents of ANOTHER FILE. This is true both on their laptop and phone. And yes, they are opening the right file name. I watched. When I open the file, I see the correct file. I even created another new folder, copied files to it, and shared that. Same problem. Not such an issue here, as I'm sharing the files with my wife. (Is still a problem though, since she needs to be able to access the correct file.) But what if I were sharing a file with a customer, and the wrongly exposed file contained another customer's info? This is a critical failure!

No error messages.

4 Replies 4

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @k6ncx, let's look into this! 

Did you share the folder using the steps mentioned here? If you used a different way, don't hesitate to let me know. 

I'd also appreciate some screenshots of what they see when they open the folder, and what you see. 

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

k6ncx
Explorer | Level 4

I have a ticket open now - big runaround doing that - and the files contain confidentai information.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @k6ncx, thanks for the update. As you're reached via ticket, the support agent will be able to assist further on their end.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

k6ncx
Explorer | Level 4

OK, first let me tell you what I have found out about the "3 devices" issue which was keeping me from providing documentation of the original. Apparently the three devices counts any device which was logged in in the past and never explicitly logged out. My wife had two devices currently in use, her laptop on which she could not sign in, and her phone on which she had closed the app. But she had a prior laptop and tablet, on both of which she had used Dropbox before. Opening the Dropbox app on her phone. When she then explicitly signed out there, she could sign in on her laptop.

Then it gets interesting. On sign-in, she was plopped into the setup sequence. There appeared to be no way to escape it, so we went through. After that the shared file opened correctly. 

The file (Excel Workbook) in question was created by saving (SAVE AS) a larger file in Dropbox which contained account numbers and other info. Sheets were deleted and columns deleted from the remaining sheet. This was saved, closed, and verified by opening it again - on both my laptop and my phone. The version shown when it was opened from my wife's laptop resembled (I did not study it in detail; had expected to do so when I got it open again) the original saved version with too much info. It wasn't identical, though. The formatting was mangled. 

Need more support?