cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your account can't be updated to leave the shared workspace.

Your account can't be updated to leave the shared workspace.

suzie17
Explorer | Level 3

Your account can't be updated to leave the shared workspace. To continue syncing your Dropbox account, close the following files or folders:

23 Replies 23

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Hey there @suzie17

Could you please clarify where you’re seeing this error message and send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of it?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Pikamander2
Super User

Hi Suzie, can you please post some more details like a screenshot or short video? Also, is this for the Dropbox desktop application or something else?

I searched for the error message but couldn't find much about it. I would suggest restarting your computer to see if that fixes it. Aside from that, you could try pausing and unpausing Dropbox's sync feature to see if that resets it.

suzie17
Explorer | Level 3

Suzie Dropbox error.jpegSuzie Dropbox error2.jpeg

Thanks Lusil for your response. I've had Dropbox installed on my iMac, Macbook and iphone for may years - i recently trialed TEAM DROPBOX for a month (Jan 3rd - Feb 4th 2019) but did not continue with the subscription - I believe this is when my problems started. I don't have any problems with Dropox syncing to my phone or Macbook. However, Dropbox seems to have stopped syncing to my iMac. The icon at the top of my computer screen has disappeared - I've downloaded Dropbox Installer again to try and get it back - it appears to download - i get as asked to sign in - i get sent an security code to my phone - then the error message appears -i've clicked "try again" - nothing happens and the error appears again - pressing "cancel" does nothing.

It looks like Dropbox is trying to install (seen screenshot 3) but then it disappears completely. I've repeated this process several times. Suzie Dropbox error 3.jpeg

I still have access to my older Dropbox files on my iMac, but nothing new i create from my Macbook is syncing over. Please help! 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for the detailed reply and for the screenshots, @suzie17! Much appreciated. 

Based on the first image you attached, my initial thought was that there’s a third party app using the path mentioned. As such, you could try temporarily quitting/disabling apps to see if you’re able to find the potential app that’s causing this. 

If that doesn’t work, you could always try rebooting your computer, as @Pikamander2 also suggests, and relaunch finder. 

Spoiler
To do this:
  • Click on the Dropbox icon from your Desktop and quit the app.
  • Open your Activity Monitor from your Mac Utilities folder.
  • Force quit out of the instances of the desktop app that are running by searching for "Dropbox" in the search bar, then clicking on the "x" force quit icon on the top left.
  • Re-start Dropbox from the applications folder by double clicking on the Dropbox app.
  • Click on the Apple icon in the top left of your screen
  • Select "force quit".
  • Relaunch the finder.
Let me know of any updates!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jerry11
Explorer | Level 3

Hello @suzie17

Is the problem is fixed or still facing it ??

I do need solution for same error , getting it on my Desktop ( Windows 8 )Capture.png . I have dropbox Plus ( 2 TB ) account and tried all the possible ways ( Advanced Uninstall, Relink the account ) to get overcome but still getting the same error . I'll attach the screen shot of this 

Thanks in advance

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @jerry11

Sorry to hear that you're also experiencing this behavior. 

Initially, awesome work on the initial troubleshooting! Definitely gives us a better understanding of the potential investigation that we need to carry out. 

The next step I'd recommend taking is to reboot your device. It may help to refresh your settings and resolve this for you. 

Let me know if this helps!

PS. I also removed some info included in your screenshot as per our Community Guidelines for security and privacy purposes. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

5lacka
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem as Suzy....I made a TRIAL  of DropBox for Business tonight -- for 10mins, until it was not allowing me to go back to my own Perso dropbox folder.

I Cancelled the TRIAL.

I launched DropBox (Mac), and then got the same error message.

I have re-booted, re-installed, and its the same.Screen Shot 2019-10-21.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-21 at 9.png

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @5lacka, sorry to hear that you're also having trouble with this. 

Initially, please note that I've removed personal information included in your post as per Community Guidelines

As for your concern, could you please try unlinking and re-linking your account to the desktop app? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

sean10
New member | Level 2

I tried converting my professional dropbox to a business dropbox. When I did that, now the dropbox app on my computer no longer works. It throws an error that says 

"Your account can't be updated to the new xxx shared workspace. To continue syncing your Dropbox account, close the following files or folders..."

Thing is, those folders aren't "open" on my machine. Furthermore, the mention folders that are shared to me by third parties. I tried to delete them on my dropbox and re-request access but that didn't work either. The details under the error shows that its trying to rename the folder, which may be why this happens because obviously it can't rename a file I don't have permissions to rename. 

Any ideas here?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    786michaelt New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?