cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your account can't be updated to leave the shared workspace.

Your account can't be updated to leave the shared workspace.

suzie17
Explorer | Level 3

Your account can't be updated to leave the shared workspace. To continue syncing your Dropbox account, close the following files or folders:

23 Replies 23

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hi @sean10, thanks for reaching out to us here!

I've moved your post here as it seems that you're getting the same error as mentioned here by the OP.

Could you try the steps suggested here to see if that does the trick? If the issue persists, I'd suggest unlinking and relinking the desktop app to try resolve the issue.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MandiEvilSpice
Explorer | Level 4

I have been struggling with this issue for months now and I have gone through all the forums and tried everthing to get rid of the error message "Your account can't be updated to leave the shared workspace. To continue syncing your Dropbox account, close the following files or folders: C/users/xxx/Dropbox"

This reply is for everyone like me, where all the forum suggestions have not worked. 

My anti virus software that I use (Trend Micro) has a feature called Folder Shield and when you configure it, you can choose the folders you wish to protect.  I removed my dropbox folder from the Folder Shield and my Dropbox reinstallation has worked and is back to working the way we all know and love.

I hope this is helpful to all.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @MandiEvilSpice, thanks for nudging us on this thread and for letting us know what did the trick for you!

If anything else comes up in the future, just give us another shout. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely rest of your week!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

sanandan sudhir
New member | Level 2

I am struggling with the same issue now. i am not able to access or sync. Need a solution urgently. these files are not open on my system or any system.

Thanks

dropbox 1.png

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @sanandan sudhir, thanks for joining us on this discussion. 

Could it be that there's a third party app on your computer that's interacting with the Dropbox desktop app?

You can check this by having a look through your Task Manager.

Let me know what you find, and we'll go from there. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

sanandan sudhir
New member | Level 2

How do i know if there is a third party app interfereing with dropbox??

dropbox.png

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

The first thought that comes to mind is to check the type of files that are in that folder, and see if the third party app that they are associated with is running. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

jkubicek
New member | Level 2

@MandiEvilSpice This solution finally worked after trying every other fix I could find, thank you so much!

bkl1
Explorer | Level 3

I have an error “Your account cant be updated to leave the shared workspace. To continue syncing your dropbox account, close the following files or folders:

C:\Users\Owner\Dropbox

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Hey @bkl1, thanks for reaching out. 

I moved your post here, where other users have expressed a similar concern. 

Could you have a look at all the troubleshooting that is suggested here, and let us know how it goes?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    786michaelt New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?