cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: get a list of photos/videos that could not be imported (and why)

get a list of photos/videos that could not be imported (and why)

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Hi, 

Camera Uploads from an iphone (13 mini) works fine for most images and videos (.heic, .jpg, .png from phone screen shots or .mov) if I either connect the phone via usb to a mac (m1 pro monterey) or open the dropbox app on the iphone and tap photos. However, I rather often get a message that anything between 2-15 images or videos out of 50-200 could not be imported. Before I can erase them from the phone, I'd need to know which ones those are. A list would be great. A reason why they failed would also be helpful. 

I like the camera upload because it changes the filename to creation date and time. Modifying the file name to not contain dots would be perfect, but that's off topic. 

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
new: ios upload will show a list for review, show the ones not uploaded and try again. thanks!

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Megan, how do I find this out even without a list? That's not an idea, more a bug. I want to not pay for iCloud AND Dropbox just because Dropbox fails to import my images and won't tell me which ones. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @g v., how are you today? 

Your feedback regarding our mobile app and its features has been very valuable, and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard. I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments too.

Now, as for the behavior of the app, could you send me a screenshot of the message you get when this happens? Which version of the Dropbox app, do you use on your mobile?

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 12.56.40.png

Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 12.57.17.png

Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 13.26.25.png

Ventura 13.0 on macbook pro M1

Dropbox 160.4.4703

Dropbox 304.2 on an iphone 13 mini ios 15.7.1 ,did not take a screen shot, but it said this often, so I don't know which files are on Dx and which not. 

I cannot use the most recent Dropbox Installer Dropbox 160.4.4703.dmg, Ventura said once it is damaged and should be moved to the trash, and now does not react if I right-click or double-click the installer on the desktop. 

(I read somewhere that Dropbox now forces one to keep files offline - if that is so, Dropbox would be unusable for me. I need my files locally. So if you would like to suggest that I uninstall and reinstall Dx (not again please), I need to know for sure Dx will allow me to keep 1 TB locally all the time.)

thanks

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

ps I did a clean install on this mac running Monterey and downloaded all online files from dropbox. Upgrade to Ventura a few days ago, Dropbox kept running file but still displayed these messages about failing to upload one or two images. Has been like this for a very long time. I just don't have the time to troubleshoot. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @g v., sorry to jump in, but could you provide some additional information?

Specifically, I'd need a screenshot of the desktop app's exact status as shown in your menu bar while  I'd also appreciate it if you could confirm the hard drive space available on your computer. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Thanks @Walter

I have 800 GB available of 2 TB. It's not a space issue.

I work with Selective Sync to exclude some shared folders, but never Smart Sync. I never have online-only files because I need a complete regular backup of data on an external SSD. 

To get a screen shot of the Dx menu bar icon, I just attached my camera (edit: iphone) via USB-C. Camera uploads started automatically, Dx menu bar icon showed camera while running, finished with no errors, back to plain Dx icon. 

I will report back if I catch it. 

If this is relevant, my Dropbox icon in the menu bar most shows a red exclamation mark because I use an email backup system that puts the subject as file name, thus full of emojis. It is a backup system, I cannot go in there and delete emails with emojis each time I run the backup. When I check which files had trouble syncing, it is only these pdfs, never ever ever an image. After checking, the exclamation mark goes away. Since I never found an image there, I usually leave the exclamation mark. It would be really helpful if Dx would support emojis just to be able to see relevant sync errors. But I checked often and found none.

Once I have a screen shot I will report. thanks. 

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Hi @Walter , 

I just tried another thing: A search for "Unique" photos in my whole Dropbox and the Photos library with Tidy Up 6. Photos that failed to upload should show up as unique in the Photos library, whereas Photos that I already deleted from my Photos app should show up as Unique in Dropbox. This way I should be able to see which uploads failed. 

Well, I only get a handful of unique photos from the Photos library. All of these are blurry unimportant images taken by accident. I somewhat remember to have deleted them from Dropbox Camera Uploads at some time. 

This would mean that eventually, everything got uploaded to Camera Uploads. 

So the search for unique items with a duplicate finder that can display unique items is probably the best way to check if everything went ok.

A confirmation from Dx that the failed uploads were eventually done would be nice, since it creates some unease if I only know that some uploads failed at some point. 

thanks for getting back to me. I think this is solved. 

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
new: ios will now let me review the photos, show which ones were not uploaded, and try them again. Thanks!

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
new: ios upload will show a list for review, show the ones not uploaded and try again. thanks!
Need more support?