cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you know more about files sizes, you can make more informed decisions about which files you upload and then you can maximize the space in your Dropbox Basic account?

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "Couldn't stop backup because My PC was renamed, deleted or moved," what can I do?

"Couldn't stop backup because My PC was renamed, deleted or moved," what can I do?

driseberg
Explorer | Level 3

I tried following the steps in the instructions to disable my backups, but I get the error message "Couldn't stop backup because My PC was renamed, deleted or moved.  Undo this change and try again."

My original pc, which I first downloaded Dropbox, died completely - HDD is unreadable.

Purchased a new pc, and installed Dropbox on it.  I am a Basic User, only needing it to share small amounts of info at a time.

During the setup, I accidently checked to backup my pc.  Now, I am completely over my allotment. 

First: I am trying to stop the backups, but I don't know where I'm supposed to look to find what or where "My PC" is supposed to be.

Second: I am trying to delete the C:\ drive copy from Dropbox, which is now located in the Documents folder, without totally losing everything on my C:\ drive.

There doesn't seem to be an easy way to accomplish this.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Re: "Couldn't stop backup because My PC was renamed, deleted or moved," what can I do?

Megan
Dropboxer

Hey @driseberg, happy Monday! 

Can you send me a screenshot of the error message you get when trying to disable Backup on your end? 

Also, when you mention the C:\ drive copy from Dropbox, do you refer to the entire Dropbox folder? Can you also attach a screenshot, so I can have visual in order to guide you? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!

driseberg1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan:

Thanks for your help.  

I have 2 screenshots.

driseberg1_0-1659466759169.pngdriseberg1_1-1659466793806.png

You will notice, under Dropbox Backups, PC is listed as out of storage space.  I wasn't supposed to backup my PC.  Now I can't undo it, and I'm fearful that if I try to delete PC from the list, it will delete everything on my computer.

Hannah
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshots and the info, @driseberg1!

Would it be okay, to reach out to you via email, so we can investigate on this internally?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

driseberg
Explorer | Level 3

Sure, not a problem.  Especially if it will help me through this dilemma!

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @driseberg - sorry to jump in here.

I just wanted to mention that I've just followed up via email, so please have a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Cheers!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?