cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the same shared link cannot use somehow.

the same shared link cannot use somehow.

koizpad
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi all,

I want to be able to update a file while maintaining the same Dropbox shared link. However, when I replace it with another file with the same name, the link no longer works. The following discussion says it should work, so I guess Dropbox changed the policy? If so, is there any way to use the same link?

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Create-upload-and-share/Can-I-keep-the-same-shared-link-but-change-t...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@koizpad wrote:

I want to be able to update a file while maintaining the same Dropbox shared link. ...

Hi @koizpad,

Yes, that's the exact behavior when you update a file. 😉 You don't need to do anything more.

@koizpad wrote:

... However, when I replace it with another file with the same name, the link no longer works. ...

Yes, that's expected behavior. The Dropbox link point to particular file, not to particular place in folders tree (like a symbolic link do)! Dropbox link is NOT a symbolic link and you shouldn't suppose/assume the same behavior. When you replace particular file you actually delete the old one and its link can alive as much as file resides still in Dropbox trash bin. Once it's permanently deleted (automatic or explicit), associated link "dies". In mean time the link does point to removed content, not to new one!

@koizpad wrote:

... The following discussion says it should work, so I guess Dropbox changed the policy? ...

Hm..🤔 Such a behavior has never been and is not, so probably referred thread express some confusion. The problem comes from fact that many applications, when do file saving, replace old file to new file instead of update the file content (something end users don't notice but can impact the behavior of services like Dropbox). The link goes with file (not place) and once the file is gone, the link is gone too. Be careful what applications you are using to edit the files and if some application does replace instead of update (if not sure - try it), don't use it for edit into Dropbox folder. Web upload can be used in such cases (as workaround) but local update is possible too. 😉

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @koizpad, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Where are you overwriting your files?

Is this on the Dropbox site directly, or via Explorer/Finder on your machine?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

koizpad
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you Jay!

I just found out this discussion thread, and figured out my issue was also the Mac-related one.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Create-upload-and-share/Dropbox-changed-my-sharing-link-with-the-sam...

I was able to update the file without changing the link (only through browser though). Hopefully, Dropbox can fix this issue with the new Mac OS!

Thank you!

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@koizpad wrote:

I want to be able to update a file while maintaining the same Dropbox shared link. ...

Hi @koizpad,

Yes, that's the exact behavior when you update a file. 😉 You don't need to do anything more.

@koizpad wrote:

... However, when I replace it with another file with the same name, the link no longer works. ...

Yes, that's expected behavior. The Dropbox link point to particular file, not to particular place in folders tree (like a symbolic link do)! Dropbox link is NOT a symbolic link and you shouldn't suppose/assume the same behavior. When you replace particular file you actually delete the old one and its link can alive as much as file resides still in Dropbox trash bin. Once it's permanently deleted (automatic or explicit), associated link "dies". In mean time the link does point to removed content, not to new one!

@koizpad wrote:

... The following discussion says it should work, so I guess Dropbox changed the policy? ...

Hm..🤔 Such a behavior has never been and is not, so probably referred thread express some confusion. The problem comes from fact that many applications, when do file saving, replace old file to new file instead of update the file content (something end users don't notice but can impact the behavior of services like Dropbox). The link goes with file (not place) and once the file is gone, the link is gone too. Be careful what applications you are using to edit the files and if some application does replace instead of update (if not sure - try it), don't use it for edit into Dropbox folder. Web upload can be used in such cases (as workaround) but local update is possible too. 😉

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    koizpad Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?