cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to make sure we keep you updated on the ideas that other users have shared here on the Community? Us too! Check them out over here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Reply and help

Re: upload from external hdd

upload from external hdd

Istvan H.
New member | Level 1

Hello, I would like to ask some help. I have 240 GB SSD in my laptop (no other hdd in my laptop) and I have 500 GB photoes and videos on external hard drive. Can I upload this 500 GB if I buy PRO user licence? How can I upload?
Thank you: Istvan

5 Replies 5

Dave C.5
Helpful | Level 7

You can upload it and then leave it NOT SYNCING in DB.
You create a folder in DROPBOX on the SSD and dump all you can into it, then once synced, use the DB app to selectively sync that folder off the SSD. Following that repeat the process with more files, but this time via the web move those files into the unsynced folder (and they leave the SSD)

Steve M.63
Explorer | Level 3

Is this really the only way of getting a large number of files off an external HDD?

I've just upgraded to pro. I have 300GB of photos I want to put onto dropbox. My C: HDD is 200GB and only about 80GB free. It will grind to a halt if I use 50GB of that to upload these files bit by bit, and even then I'll have to go thru the cycle 6 times. There must be a way of uploading only from an external HDD.

Rich
Super User II

There must be a way of uploading only from an external HDD.

There isn't, as Dropbox does not support external drives.

Dave C.5
Helpful | Level 7

@Steve M.

1 Attach the external drive and locate the folder you want as your base of photos

2 open your dropbox folder in explorer and then select the folder you want as the parent of (1)

3 holding the shift key down right click on the folder selected in (2) and select "open command window here"

4 in the command window type MKLINK /D "Destination folder name here" "Drive:\folder path to (1) here"

5 wait for dropbox to complete sync of all the files in the "Destination folder name here"

6 PAUSE SYNC * OMG DONT FORGET THIS *

7 Unplug the external

8 In explorer in the folder in (2) delete "Destination folder name here"

9 In dropbox use selective unsync to unsync the "Destination folder name here"

10 wait for dropbox to complete unsync (hover over the icon for info)

11 RESUME SYNC

1-5 is about creating a linked folder in dropbox that points at your ext drive folder and syncing it

6-11 is about preventing dropbox erasing the files (on the cloud or ext) as you remove the external drive

----

FYI: "pause sync" does NOT pause selective unsyncing folders, so the trick is, you pause syncing, then remove the drive, this would cause a mass delete on the cloud but as your paused syncing it waits to do this, and then you selective unsync the folder, which would cause a mass delete on the external, but as you unplugged it it cant, when you resume sync the folder is selective unsynced so the mass erase to the cloud is invalid and doesnt go ahead. You have your files and them also on the cloud. end of line.

Razvan Boxifier
Collaborator | Level 10

Is this really the only way of getting a large number of files off an external HDD?

You can Google for "sync external drive to Dropbox" and find the app that can help with that.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community.]

Need more support?