cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: what happens if deltasync upload doesnt complete and i close PC

what happens if deltasync upload doesnt complete and i close PC

andreas781
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

well my question is simple, if i am uploading deltasync data to a file, lets say a video file (that i have made minor changes) and at that time i close PC. then PC breaks never opens again so i have to download to my new PC my dropbox file WHICH was not complete uploaded earlier. will the file open?

and also what will happen if that video file is just one of the files that i have in a file container like veracrypt file, and i ll try to open it later on will it open? will the video work? will my other files (that i will have in the container) become accessible?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @andreas781, I'd be happy to answer this one for you! 

You mentioned DeltaSync. Do you use an API to connect that with Dropbox, or an integration? 

Now, as for your syncing question the general rule of thumb is that whether you're using our app directly, or a third party app, Dropbox needs time to sync the changes. 

If you close the device, before that has happened, then the changes won't be visible to Dropbox. 

Let's say you have file A and you last update the file on Monday, and everything syncs to the web without an issue. All good so far. If you update it on Wednesday using a third party app, or even our app, but the changes don't have time to sync, you'll only have Monday's version visible. 

If you have any questions, let me know. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

andreas781
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

the thing also is that is very important to put an option to dropbox to shutdown computer after sync completes so that you can leave house and be sure everything goes smooth. is this something you can propose to your admins to do? because now i have to wait for dropbox to finish uploading and then leave my house to make sure all files are synced ok.

how do you think of that?

andreas781
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

as i also saw was that when i made changes to an  image inside a veracrypt container (like rar encrypted container) and then paused dropbox upload intentionnally, and downloaded half-uploaded veracrypt file i saw that it was downloading the image file into its original form. no differences even partially happened in the picture. ONLY when upload completed then it downloaded the whole correct file with all changes made

whats going on here ? does dropbox keep the same initial file until new deltasync upload completes and then lets you download the completed file? because this is what i understand from my tests. until new changes upload completes u can download only the initial version of the file. is this correct? so there is no way to have corrupted files only not completed ones on your new computer when you download your half previously uploaded files (before computer breaks down for example)

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @andreas781, I'd be happy to answer this one for you! 

You mentioned DeltaSync. Do you use an API to connect that with Dropbox, or an integration? 

Now, as for your syncing question the general rule of thumb is that whether you're using our app directly, or a third party app, Dropbox needs time to sync the changes. 

If you close the device, before that has happened, then the changes won't be visible to Dropbox. 

Let's say you have file A and you last update the file on Monday, and everything syncs to the web without an issue. All good so far. If you update it on Wednesday using a third party app, or even our app, but the changes don't have time to sync, you'll only have Monday's version visible. 

If you have any questions, let me know. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

andreas781
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

i use dropbox desktop application, no third party. yes i understood the same thing . what about auto shut down pc when sync is done?! wouldnt that be a good idea for a user to have that option? so i can leave house and be certain that sync will be completed. can that somehow reach dropbox creators attention? i would personally like that option

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@andreas781 wrote:

what about auto shut down pc when sync is done?! wouldnt that be a good idea for a user to have that option?

You can make that suggestion by posting it in the Share an idea section of the forums, or by finding an existing idea and adding your vote to it.

Need more support?