cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 File Directories that Seem to be Linked

2 File Directories that Seem to be Linked

CarlinRI
Explorer | Level 3

I have 2 files that seem to be linked.

I have a file directory named "My PC (DESKTOP-M8H8QFP)" in Dropbox.  This is the name of my computer. In file explorer, My PC M8H8QFP is the main directory to my files.  Whenever I tried to make a change to any of the subdirectories (downloads, Documents, Desktop) in "My PC M8H8QFP", it also makes the change to files in "My PC (DESKTOP-M8H8QFP)" in Dropbox.  If I try to delete a file in Desktop "My PC (DESKTOP-M8H8QFP)" it will tell me "the action can't be completed because the folder or file in it is open in another program." I don't think the "My PC (DESKTOP-M8H8QFP)" in Dropbox should be in Dropbox since it is a duplicate to the "My PC" folder in File Explorer.

So if I delete a file from the Dropbox directory, it will also delete if from my computer.  I just don't what to have them linked together.

I appreciate the help in advance,

Thank you

I have tried everything and can't separate the linked files.  Are they supposed to be linked?Screenshot (23).png

1 Reply 1

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @CarlinRI, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

It sounds like you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application. 

Could you first try disabling the computer backup from Dropbox using these steps to see if this helps?

Afterwards, you'll get the option to move the folders and files back to their previous locations, which will also delete them from the Dropbox account online.

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?