cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: All desktop Files Missing

All desktop Files Missing

mmifflin
Explorer | Level 3

So recently I realized that pretty much all of the files on my mac had gone missing. My documents folder, downloads, desktop, and many more folders are gone. I worked with apple support for a while and came to the conclusion that I had been saving my files through dropbox to these folders. I can see some of the missing files in the dropbox icon that appears at the top of my screen, but dont see anything when I log into my dropbox account online. The apple representative believes that something happened and I will need to have all of these files recovered. If there's anyone that could help with this issue, I would greatly appreciate it!

10 Replies 10

Mark
Super User II

Hi @mmifflin 

What does www.dropbox.com/events show - if they actually uploaded AND were removed in last 30 days you can do so from there

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

mmifflin
Explorer | Level 3
The computer Maxs-MacBook-Pro-3.local was linked to your account  11/2/2022 11:50 AM

This is what it shows

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @mmifflin, it sounds like you had enabled our backup feature for these folders.

If you go to your backups page, do you see your files there?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mmifflin
Explorer | Level 3

Hey Hannah. If I go to the backups page on my dropbox it asks me to set up backups. So I don't think I had it set up. The only place I can see my files is on the little dropbox icon at the top of my computer under sync history. I can't see any of the files on my dropbox account online. 

mmifflin
Explorer | Level 3

Hey Mark. All it shows is that I my computer was linked.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mmifflin! I hope it’s OK if I jump in, too.

Can you also check your desktop app preferences and send me a screenshot of what you see under your Backups tab?

Also, is there any chance that you may be logged in to a different Dropbox account on www.dropbox.com than the one showing on your Dropbox app?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

mmifflin
Explorer | Level 3

Hey Nancy! the top screenshot is the one you asked for. For your question about if I could be logged in on someone else's account, it is a possibility that all my files would be saved on a different account, but in the second screenshot I see a bunch of files that I lost and I'm logged into my account. But then when I go to my online account (3rd screenshot), I don't see any files in my account or deleted files. 

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 3.57.50 PM.png

 

 

 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Have you tried searching for the files on our website, through the search bar at the top right corner of your 'all files' page?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

mmifflin
Explorer | Level 3

Hey Hannah. I have but there is nothing there. 

Need more support?