cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: All my files disappeared from Macbook after deleting dropbox.

All my files disappeared from Macbook after deleting dropbox.

amalb
Explorer | Level 4

All my files disappeared from Macbook after deleting dropbox. When i re-installed drop box i only got some of them back because the most recent ones (since september 2020) weren't synced to my dropbox. Is there a way i can get my files back please? I contacted Apple and they told me to contact dropbox. 

29 Replies 29

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hey @amalb, welcome to our Community! 

If the files were never synced to your Dropbox account online, then the chances of recovering them are very slim.

If I were you, I'd look at the events page to see what's going on.

Keep me posted on the results.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

amalb
Explorer | Level 4

Hey Megan

Thank you for your reply. This is the only thing i see when i click on the events page. Screenshot 2022-03-14 at 10.22.53.png

What i don't understand is, how did those files get deleted if they weren't synced in the first place 😞 I hope i can get them back. 

Krisshaceracho
New member | Level 2

didn’t notice that my mac’s desktop and downloads folder file path is routed to dropbox. This morning, i decided to delete my dropbox app on my mac and now all my files are gone. Is there a way that i can retrieve my files?

Krisshaceracho
New member | Level 2
Same issue!!

Krisshaceracho
New member | Level 2
I was just on the phone with apple support and they just checked the terminal and it shows that my desktop and downloads are actually routed to dropbox. So when i deleted dropbox this morning, all my files are now gone

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hi @amalb, thank you for your screenshot! 

If you see no sign of the files, then is there a chance that you have another Dropbox account and that they got uploaded there? 

Also, @Krisshaceracho it seems you're referring to our computer backup feature. 

You can find detailed instructions on how to disable it here.

If you need anything else, let me know.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

amalb
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Megan

Is there a way to know which accounts are made on my name. I have many e-mail adreses and i tried to sign in with all of them but there are no other accounts. If i remember correctly this is the only account i have. I signed out last year on my laptop that's why the files didn't sync. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Hey @amalb, sorry for jumping in here.

I'm afraid there's no way for you to check how many accounts you might have created.

A workaround would be to try to sign in with each of your email addresses, try the forgot password option and check if a password reset email reaches that address.

Regarding your files, have you searched your computer, like your trash, for example?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

mtnkate
New member | Level 2

Dropbox whacked my Macbook Air M1.  Like others, my desktop and downloads folder are gone.  I only used dropbox for a very short time because it KILLED my storage and seriously pushed my 8GB of RAM to the limit even when running only basic apps.  How do I recover my desktop and my Downloads folder?

Need more support?