cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can I use Dropbox Backup to backup files stored on Dropbox?

Can I use Dropbox Backup to backup files stored on Dropbox?

Robert F.41
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I use Dropbox and Dropbox backup to sync and backup files on my two Mac laptops.  Recently, I asked a question because I was confused about how Dropbox works and I received two good answers that cleared up my confusion.  After reading those two answers, I think the best way to keep all my files in sync between my two Mac laptops is just to move all of the files and folders out of the Documents and Desktop folders into dropbox.com and have those folders synced to my two laptops.  What I don't want is to have to move files to my local Dropbox folder in order to access them between laptops as I need to access too many files on a daily basis for this to be efficient.

But this raises a new question.  If I start storing all of my files in dropbox.com, can I still back them up using Dropbox Backup?  I'd like to use backup so I can easily restore files I accidentally delete, or roll back to an earlier version of a file.  However, when I open the Mac Dropbox desktop app and go to Preferences > Backups and click the "Manage backups" button, if I scroll down to "Adjust settings" and click the "Change folders" button, the only folders shown are my main Mac System folders (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, & Movies).  I don't see a way to tell Dropbox to back up the files I'm storing in my local Dropbox folder (/Users/me/Dropbox).  Are Dropbox online storage and Dropbox Backup mutually exclusive services, meaning you have to use one or the other but you can't use both?  If so, this would seem odd as I can see a definite need to be able to restore or roll back files regardless of whether they're stored locally or on dropbox.com. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Robert F.41 wrote:

Are Dropbox online storage and Dropbox Backup mutually exclusive services, meaning you have to use one or the other but you can't use both?

Sort of. The Backup feature is meant specifically for backing up your Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders as I described in your other post, as well as external drives you may attach. It does this by moving those folders into Dropbox so they can sync. It doesn't back up the other files you put in Dropbox because it doesn't need to. They're already in Dropbox.

If you're not using the Backup feature (again, because of what we discussed in your other post), and you're planning to move your files into the Dropbox folder instead, then those files are going to sync to Dropbox and won't need the Backup feature. Just storing your files in Dropbox will allow you up to 30 days of file recovery and version history.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Robert F.41 wrote:

Are Dropbox online storage and Dropbox Backup mutually exclusive services, meaning you have to use one or the other but you can't use both?

Sort of. The Backup feature is meant specifically for backing up your Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders as I described in your other post, as well as external drives you may attach. It does this by moving those folders into Dropbox so they can sync. It doesn't back up the other files you put in Dropbox because it doesn't need to. They're already in Dropbox.

If you're not using the Backup feature (again, because of what we discussed in your other post), and you're planning to move your files into the Dropbox folder instead, then those files are going to sync to Dropbox and won't need the Backup feature. Just storing your files in Dropbox will allow you up to 30 days of file recovery and version history.

Robert F.41
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks again Rich!  I think I've got a handle on this now.

Need more support?