cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't see my files on my PC, and how to successfully delete files.

Can't see my files on my PC, and how to successfully delete files.

barryking
Explorer | Level 3

I have 2 dropbox accounts.  One on my ipad and one on my pc laptop.  I can see some of the files on my ipad but none on pc....why?.   I also am aware that I was downloading files to my dropbox but there were to many for my basic account.  

Each time I try to delete a file by clicking on the 3 dots along side it.....it is asking me to print not delete.  I would like to get rid of most of them but can't.

I am also thinking I should shut down one of the dropbox accounts.

17 Replies 17

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @barryking, let's jump right into this! 

In regards to the first issue about you seeing your files on your PC: you mentioned that you have two Dropbox accounts. Are these accounts linked

In order for that to happen, you'd need to have an individual account, and a Business one. Is it possible that you're looking at the wrong, therefore maybe an empty account on your PC? 

As for deleting files, do you try to do this online, on the desktop app, or the mobile app? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

barryking63
New member | Level 2

Hi Megan…..I can see them on my iPad but not my pic.  My pc laptop was a gift which provided me with opportunity to have a Dropbox account.  That’s under [email removed as per Community Guidelines]iPad is under [email removed as per Community Guidelines] This is likely my first account.  No they are not linked.  I am trying to delete on iPad but can’t.

barryking63
New member | Level 2

Megan forgot to mention I am trying to delete files from mobile app on ipad.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @barryking, keep in mind that in order for you to be able to see the same files locally on your PC, then the app on your mobile, and the app on your PC would need to be under the same account. 

If you access the Dropbox account that you're using on your desktop app, and try to access it online, do you see your content there? 

Do you try to delete these files using the Photos tab on your iPad, or the Files tab? In any case you should be having the option there, so can you send me a screenshot of the options you see on your end? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

barryking
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Megan

I apologize for just getting back but have been busy.  I am sending screenshots 2 from my IPad and 1 from my PC laptop. I am still unable to delete anything by using the file or photo tabs.  It’s frustrating.  You will also see that the files you see on the IPad and pc are different and are also all that show up.  Don’t understand that….they are 2 different email accounts.  

[Removed as per Community Guidelines]

You will also see in the Ipad shot how much over the storage limit I’m at and can’t upload unless I purchase an increased storage amount which I don’t want to do….I just want to go through everything and delete a good number of files.

Thanks….Barry

barryking
Explorer | Level 3

I had sent my previous email to @Megan @on Friday hoping she would see it and provide me with some wisdom on what to do.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @barryking, since you're viewing files in the Recents folder, could you try navigating directly to a file in the home tab and thne see then options you get from the ellipsis?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

barryking
Explorer | Level 3

@Jay …here is one photo from my iPad….this is all I see when I open and cannot delete.  

barryking_0-1684788622373.png

Here are two photos from my pc laptop…. Same problem you will see when I touch the ellipses it does not show any delete option.  

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Try accessing the files from the Files tab instead and let me know how it goes.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    barryking Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?