cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Delete Folder

Cannot Delete Folder

Owltiger
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have a large folder with about 290gb.  Following directions elsewhere on the forum I have been attempting to delete it all day.  So far, the steps I have taken are:

1. Log out of Dropbox on all devices. 

2. Run Security check to verify all devices and browsers were logged out

2. Selected directory and hit delete.

The system says it is deleting 1 file (the directory) for about 2 minutes and then goes away.  The directory remains.

Any help appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Owltiger
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Jay

Actually it was a post here within the community that suggested logging out of all devices.  I was actually glad I found it.  There were devices that I haven't used/owned in years still showing as logged into my Dropbox account.  There were approx. 20 PCs, tablets, phones and 30 browsers I have used over the past several years.  It was actually quite eye opening and surprised I hadn't run this security check before.

Once I completed all of those steps it didn't work and then I logged off the machine I was using, relogged into Dropbox and was finally able to delete the folder without incident.  (Although it did take 36 hours to reindex all the files on the primary machine but that went flawlessly.)

As this point, the problem is resolved.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Owltiger, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you clarify what steps you've read that involve logging out of all devices in order to delete a folder? 

Are you deleting this on the Dropbox site or via the Dropbox folder itself? Could you try deleting files within the folder in batches to see if this helps?

Keep me updated with any progress!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Owltiger
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Jay

Actually it was a post here within the community that suggested logging out of all devices.  I was actually glad I found it.  There were devices that I haven't used/owned in years still showing as logged into my Dropbox account.  There were approx. 20 PCs, tablets, phones and 30 browsers I have used over the past several years.  It was actually quite eye opening and surprised I hadn't run this security check before.

Once I completed all of those steps it didn't work and then I logged off the machine I was using, relogged into Dropbox and was finally able to delete the folder without incident.  (Although it did take 36 hours to reindex all the files on the primary machine but that went flawlessly.)

As this point, the problem is resolved.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue! If you need any further assistance in the future, please let me know.

Enjoy your week ahead!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Owltiger Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?