cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted files not showing up under Deleted Files (ransomware attack)

Deleted files not showing up under Deleted Files (ransomware attack)

Straffin
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

In trying to recover from a ransomware attack that hit my Dropbox folder (among others), I'm not seeing the files that were deleted (and replaced with encrypted copies) in the "Deleted Files" screen. The deletion/addition activity shows up under Events just fine, but the deleted files aren't listed to restore. Any idea why? 😞

13 Replies 13

EdGarcia
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Straffin wrote:

I'm sorry, but this is NOT a solution to my problem (from a year-and-a-half ago). The was NEVER a solution to my problem.
I'm now a happy box.com user. 

Hey Straffin,

Sorry to hear that it wasn't a solution for your problem but it absolutely was a solution for mine. Why unmark it as a solution if your a "happy" box user. Marking your post as a solution doesn't help anyone but up to you.

EdGarcia
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Mark wrote:
More than welcome Ed!
Pleased it helped you out! 🙂

Hey Mark,

Thanks for responding but I thought I'd hear from 310EI :thinking:

Me too!

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@EdGarcia wrote:

Hey 310EI,

I saw your ransomware tweet last month which led me to your forum post, it was a lifesaver. I sent your post to our local tech who was able to use your link suggestions which helped him to tackle removing the ransomware. After that he used No More Ransomware's website instructions to decrypt our data, we never heard of their website before.

After he backed up all our decrypted data he did a clean install of windows 7 to erase any traces of the ransomware. He wanted me to mention that he appreciated you taking his phone call last month, he said your suggestion to remove the infected hard drives and scan them externally was a time saver plus effective way to get rid of the ransomware. Also, he implemented the off-site backup service and anti-ransomware software that you recommended for our computers.

Your contributions saved us a lot of money not only for the ransom they demanded but for the data we could have lost. We just had to tell you we're grateful for your post and other useful suggestions.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

~Ed

Hello, @EdGarcia...

I'm humbled by your kind words... it's great to hear that everything went well for you.  I'm glad that you found the information helpful and was able to use it to solve your particular problem :nerd:

You're very welcome, I'm happy that it worked for you.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive post.  It certainly wasn't necessary, but I appreciate it immensely.

Regards,

310EI

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@EdGarcia wrote:

Hey Mark,

Thanks for responding but I thought I'd hear from 310EI :thinking:

Me too!

Hello, @EdGarcia...

I apologize for the delayed response.

Need more support?