cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to make sure we keep you updated on the ideas that other users have shared here on the Community? Us too! Check them out over here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Reply and help

Deleted files

Deleted files

Twiggy
Explorer | Level 4

Yesterday I received an email from Dropbox that I deleted over 1200 files a week ago, but I can restore them.

First: I never deleted that much files (probably my antivirus program did?)

Second: the list appears but but clicking on 'restore' doesn't seem to have any effect, although the message appears 'finished restoring files', the list is still on the screen.

I fear that all those files will be removes after 30 days. How can I avoid this happening? And how can I avoid this automatic deleting of files?

Twiggy_0-1674562784857.png

Oh and anothing thing happened: all my online files (including the 'removed' ones) can't be read anymore. I get an error which says that the files might be damaged. But I can open them by making them offline available. Help?!?

Twiggy_0-1674564755657.png

2 Replies 2

Re: Deleted files

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @Twiggy, sorry to hear about this. 

Can you try restoring one file from the deleted ones and check its version history to see what might have happened?

As for the message that gets stuck on your screen when restoring, you could try clearing your browser's cache or another browser.

When it comes to your last query, could you clarify what you mean by can't be read? Are you trying to open them through a specific 3rd party app on your computer perhaps?

Let me know of any updates!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Re: Deleted files

Twiggy
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks @Walter for your reply and suggestions.

Actually, I can't click on either file. Looking better I notice that the list is called 'Event details' instead of 'Deleted files'. 

Twiggy_0-1674634038978.png

My upcoming thought is: could it be an old backup file? deleted by the new version of Windows11 or Norton? Because the list contains also maps. And... all files are still available, although a lot of them only when I make them offline available (due to the second issue).

Speaking of that issue: no I am not opening the files by another app or what so ever. Simply in MC Office via 'verkenner' (don't know the english term; explorer?). But believe it or not... it's suddenly solved. All files can be opened! what a relief 😉

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Twiggy Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?