cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help I want to leave dropbox

Deleting Account Error

pamallama
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When I go to delete my account, I get an error message after I've filled in all the details.

It flashes with Error 500 and only gives me the option to only go back to the home page or visit the help center.

I've tried 3x now to delete and nothing changes.

Anyone offer any help?

53 Replies 53

Maria Klimova
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi! I am having the same issue. I am using Chrome, tried clearing cache and using incognito mode. I tried to remove my account through mobile, too. Please assist.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi everyone! I hope you’re all doing great.

@tazz123, if you check your Dropbox email address, you should be seeing a new email from me. Please reply back to it, when possible, and we’ll check this further. 

@itsme232 and @Maria Klimova, just to be on the same page, can you let me know if you’ve both tried to delete your Dropbox account via a different browser?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

tazz123
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Yep have tried from different browsers and it doesn’t work,

Maria Klimova
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Nancy, I tried Chrome + incognito in Chrome, and MS Edge. I also tried to delete it from the app on iPhone. None of these worked.

jb210
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Why can't I delete my account?? I get charged monthly for this thing I don't use and I don't need the images on there. It's been bugging me for ages saying "has stopped syncing - no space" for ages. I've ignored it and finally come to delete it ... get myself to the delete my account bit, type in my password and I get "

Error (403)

It seems you don't belong here! You should probably sign. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home."

I just want to get outta here!!

Also totally lost, I get charged £9 a month but on my account looks like I haven't been charged since 2019? How do you talk to someone at Dropbox? I'm a severely disgruntled customer at this point - it shouldn't be this confusing/hard to delete my account.

Tom839
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Can’t delete my account. Keep getting error 500 on all browsers private or not and in app it just says unknown error.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @jb210, thanks for messaging the Community.

I understand your frustration over this matter. Regarding your card charge, on your bank statement does it show Dropbox, iTunes or Google Play?

When deleting your account, could you try switching browsers to see if this helps?

Keep me updated with any progress.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

sgdb001
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,
I am also getting the same error as mentioned above.
I have tried to delete via an incognito window and in multiple browsers.

Feel free to contact me to resolve.

jb210
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hey Jay,

Thanks for your response. So after a lot more time in this hole I discovered that in April 2021 dropbox sent me an email with “we will downgrade your Dropbox if you don’t update a payment method”. So they downgraded it from a plus account to a basic account. I’ve made this tangled web so difficult; it’s paid via PayPal who takes it from my bank if I don’t have enough funds, so my bank says PayPal and PayPal says Apple.

So I went onto apple support, and claimed a refund but seems I can only go back two months? I’ll take that up with Apple.

Regardless, I still can’t delete my Dropbox. I tried on my phone too and that just said unknown error as well.

I do have a folder in there which I was added into … does this count as a “team” thing that I have to leave before I can delete my account? Also, does it matter if some files are shared with other people? Is that why I can’t leave? Is it because it hasn’t synced in ages? I deleted stuff to make space because it said it was over it’s limit.

I read somewhere that a basic account will automatically delete after 12 months. If that was the case, it should have deleted in April this year?

Thanks

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey everyone.

Have you tried to submit a help request to our support team? If so, please give us your ticket numbers, so we can look them up in our system.

If you're having trouble opening a ticket, let us know and we will happily open one for you.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?