cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're looking to hear about your experience when using Dropbox in a web browser. What parts of Dropbox feels very slow to you and takes a lot of time to get done? What are you trying to do in the Dropbox web browser when you experience slowness? Tell us right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Reply and help

Deleting Dropbox Deleted my Desktop

Deleting Dropbox Deleted my Desktop

kkrae17
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I am hoping to find a way to recover my desktop that was just deleted. I have a MacBook Pro and was clearing off storage and decided to delete my dropbox folders as there were no files in them that I needed. I then emptied my trash on my mac and noticed my entire desktop disappeared and I can't seem to find the files. Is there a way to recover this? The files are not in my backup on dropbox.com. I had no idea this would happen and just am hoping to get my year of files back.

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Re: Deleting Dropbox Deleted my Desktop

Hannah
Dropboxer

Hey @kkrae17, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community and sorry to see about your files.

It sounds like you had the Dropbox backup feature enabled, when you deleted Dropbox from your computer.

Tough situation, since you also deleted your Trash, but let's see what we can find.

Do you see the files in your deleted files page, or any related events in your events page?

Let me know what you find.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

kkrae17
Explorer | Level 3

There unfortunately is none of my missing files in either of those spots. Is there a way to prevent this going forward? I honestly want dropbox completely deleted at this point but am unsure how to do so without losing all of my files.

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @kkrae17, have you uninstalled the Dropbox desktop application, or is it still running on your account?

As per my colleague's comment, is Dropbox Backup enabled in the app or via the site?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

kkrae17
Explorer | Level 3

It says I need to download dropbox which I did last night and it automatically started backing up my downloads. I went to settings and turned off the backups and dragged dropbox to the trash. I don't see dropbox folders in finder anymore.

Hannah
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update here.

You should be okay now that you've disabled backup.

If you no longer want your computer to be connected to your Dropbox account, you can unlink it by deleting it from your connected devices.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    kkrae17 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?