cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Re: Deleting computer folders from Dropbox

Deleting computer folders from Dropbox

Kirsten3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi everybody,

I'm having a problem lately with my dropbox account.

I have the basic package, so i can only have 2 GB of storage on my dropbox.

This is why I only want the files needed on the dropbox and not my personal documents. But it happens to be that these documents are already on my dropbox. There is a file 'My PC' on dropbox with all my personal documents in it. This file is shared with no one.

I cannot delete the folders/documents from dropbox without deleting them from my local computer storage. 

Can anybody help me out? I cannot upload anything now as my storage is full.

Thanks in advance:)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hello @Kirsten3 and @jlarch3rr, thanks for checking in with us. 

It seems like you have computer backup enabled, which adds computer folders (like Documents and Downloads) into your Dropbox folder. 

In this case, if you don't need it, you can turn it off by following the steps mentioned in this article

During these steps, you'll be give the option to move the files back to where they were originally. 

Have a look through and let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

jlarch3rr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I can't delete a folder that the DropBox app created on its own "My PC (DESKTOP-NA82NRH)" that is ruining my available space and trying to force me to upgrade. This folder actually is my "Downloads" folder on my hard drive. I don't want this folder to be part of my DropBox folder - it is 11.4 Gb which far exceeds my 2 Gb limit on my free account! If this is deleted from my DropBox folder, I will be using up only 1.24 Gb!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hello @Kirsten3 and @jlarch3rr, thanks for checking in with us. 

It seems like you have computer backup enabled, which adds computer folders (like Documents and Downloads) into your Dropbox folder. 

In this case, if you don't need it, you can turn it off by following the steps mentioned in this article

During these steps, you'll be give the option to move the files back to where they were originally. 

Have a look through and let me know how it goes, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Kirsten3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Lucil thank you so much for your quick response and the help! It worked!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Glad to have helped, @Kirsten3!

If anything else comes up in the future, you know where to find us. 

For now, I hope you have a wonderful day ahead of you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Andrewcat
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

There is no "Backups" selection, section, tab anywhere on my Dropbox... šŸ˜‘

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Andrewcat, happy Friday!

Would you be able to send me a screenshot of what you see on your end? 

Also, make sure to follow the steps on the Dropbox desktop application and not the website. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sfsheila21
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello there,

Hope you are well.

I've been communicating with one of your help support but it's still not resolved and I urgently need to resolve it.

Dropbox is company account and I'm new to the company...connected to dropbox....then it automatically downloaded files to my laptop....didn't realise it...now my laptop space is full and can't work and save files into my laptop.

I was asked to sign out then I would be permanently disconnected from dropbox account. I don't want to be permanently disconnected. I just want to delete dropbox folder from my laptop BUT if I want to find files in dropbox, I can still sign in and look for the files BUT dropbox should not automatically download files again to my laptop.

Please assist the soonest possible since this back and forth messages with one of your support team has been going on since last week.

Thank you.

Best,

Sheila

mull
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

kristen3 or lusil  im having the same issues and other programs are locked up

the replying person forwarded a nice article---unfortunately, it doesnt work

i cannot find any phone support and the sidebar administrative bars are nonexistant as well

VERY POOR EXPERIENCE WITH DROPBOX TO DATE---hoping not to be hacked or computer frozen at this point

BEWARE

all i want are MY files back noncorrupted

mull
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

lusil,   you helped kristen3 with my same problems but the article you forward has not enabled me to identify the dropbox tabs to correct the problem

Need more support?