cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting pictures from automatic upload

Deleting pictures from automatic upload

vovalos
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

So I'm trying to figure out what's the exact behaviour of camera upload when you delete files, and whether this behaviour can be modified.

From what I can see:

1. If i delete picture on phone, it's kept in dropbox

2. If I delete picture in dropbox (on PC), it's kept in phone. Haven't tried in app.

So if I take a picture I no longer need, I actually need to delete it twice... Is there any way to only delete pictures once and have them removed both from phone & dropbox?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@vovalos wrote:

So if I take a picture I no longer need, I actually need to delete it twice... Is there any way to only delete pictures once and have them removed both from phone & dropbox?

Yes, you need to delete it twice. The purpose of Camera Uploads is only to upload your photos and videos. There is no way to sync deletions like that.

The Dropbox companioin app, Carousel, used to do this. It had a feature that could determine which photos you've already uploaded and remove them from your camera roll/gallery. Sadly, Dropbox discontinued the app long ago, and in fact have been moving away from alot of the photo-centric features that they once had.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@vovalos wrote:

Yes, you need to delete it twice. The purpose of Camera Uploads is only to upload your photos and videos. There is no way to sync deletions like that.

The Dropbox companioin app, Carousel, used to do this. It had a feature that could determine which photos you've already uploaded and remove them from your camera roll/gallery. Sadly, Dropbox discontinued the app long ago, and in fact have been moving away from alot of the photo-centric features that they once had.

vovalos
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks Rich. 

The money is not in consumer business... thus the move away from photo centric features I guess.

chiara07
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

what happens if i delete all the pictures from dropbox autoupload and dont delete from my phone would theynbe automatically uploaded again because they are still on my phone??

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @chiara07, apologies for the delay in getting back to you here!

If you remove those files from your Camera Uploads folder, they won't be automatically re-uploaded again.

The app will only upload your new photos that haven't previously been added to your account if you choose to leave the camera uploads option on.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tel1Aviv
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is there a way to be able to delete a picture on dropbox camera upload and it will automatically delete it on my iphone? (not to have to delete a picture twice)

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @tel1Aviv, thanks for joining the discussion and happy Friday!

I'm afraid there's no way to achieve this via Dropbox at this time, but I found this idea and this one which might be of interest to you.

Feel free to  have a look and upvote them and/or share your own thoughts. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    tel1Aviv New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    chiara07 Explorer | Level 3
    vovalos Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?