cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop folder disappeared from synced folders - how to add?

Desktop folder disappeared from synced folders - how to add?

misscherylb
Explorer | Level 4

Hello, I used to have the desktops of two laptops in the list of my synced folders. They have disappeared and I cannot find an option to re-add them. I have stopped and restarted Dropbox. Uninstalled and newly installed Dropbox. Checked "preferences" in settings and looked for an option to add new synced folders, but cannot see any. What to do?

I suspect this might be in some way connected to the Backup feature. I had tested "Backup" by adding a desktop. It's possible that it was then that it disappeared from synced folders, but I'm not sure as the other laptop's desktop was still there. Now I deleted and disabled backups for both desktops, hoping they would become available in synced folders again, but they haven't.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II

Hi @misscherylb 

You are correct, this is a feature only available within the Backups feature. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

misscherylb
Explorer | Level 4

Hey, thanks for the info!

That's a pity, I hope Dropbox changes it back - I'd like to have everything in one place how it used to be, not split between a section for sync and a section for backup, it's annoying that the folders have disappeared.

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox have never sync'd folders outside of the \Dropbox directory. It was only ever backup that did this. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

misscherylb
Explorer | Level 4

Up to recently I had Desktop's of two laptops in there and it worked perfectly fine. If I remember correctly, at some point in the settings it asked whether such folders should be added, might have been a long time ago. But I definitely had them in there.

Mark
Super User II

@misscherylb wrote:

Up to recently I had Desktop's of two laptops in there and it worked perfectly fine. If I remember correctly, at some point in the settings it asked whether such folders should be added, might have been a long time ago. But I definitely had them in there.

Yes you would have - via the beta versions of Backup. 

They changed how it worked when it fully launched, however, it was a feature of Backup and not Dropbox. 

misscherylb
Explorer | Level 4

I see... what a pity they changed it.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

misscherylb Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?