cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Desperately need help recovering files

Desperately need help recovering files

vevaw
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I did something incredibly stupid the other day and thought I had fixed it but now realise with horror that it wasn't fixed after all....

I dragged a folder off my desktop straight out of Dropbox into another cloud storage folder. Soon after I deleted the other cloud storage software off my computer as it wasn't working well and forgot about the folder I had dragged in.

After much panic I went into my online version of Dropbox and saw that the folder was still there - so relieved - downloaded it as a ZIP and put it back on my desktop.  All the subfolders were there and I didn't think to check.  Now I see today that all the folders are completely empty.

Please help as I have lost artwork and unique files going back many years.

There's no sign of it in Deleted Items.  I don't know whether or not to upgrade to a higher version of Dropbox (am on Basic) in order to get phone support or whether even this act would somehow make the folders even more unrecoverable.

Any advice greatly received.

16 Replies 16

Mark
Super User II

For shared folders, you need to rejoin at www.dropbox.com/share OR get the owner to reinvite you (that's what 'you removed....' means. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

vevaw
Explorer | Level 4

Sorry it's not a shared folder and it says 'you deleted' not 'you removed'.  There were a few folders in it that were shared but not the ones I most need to recover.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @vevaw. Can you please click on the hyperlink that’s associated with this deletion event, and let me know what you see (feel free to send me one more screenshot)?

Do you see an option to restore your folders this way?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

vevaw
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Nancy,

By some miracle I have found the folder and all the files intact.  It was amongst my Windows folders,. Even though I had uninstalled the other cloud software a folder had been left behind and it contained all the missing files.  Thank goodness.  Thank you for your help.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Glad to hear you found your files, @vevaw! For anything else, we’ll be right here.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

vevaw
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Nancy, please can you tell me know to delete my posts on here as there are some screenshots and info I don't want left online permanently.

Best wishes

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @vevaw, I've gone ahead and removed your screenshot and the folder name in one of your replies.

If I missed something or if you need anything else, let us know!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?