cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How can I remove myself from a shared document in paper?

Dropbox Paper leave a shared document or folder

man-u-l
Helpful | Level 5

I am having a problem, I read an article about how to manage projects using paper, the article had a link to a sample Paper Document, I clicked on it and I was added to the Document list of people who can see and commend along with a couple hundred more that also clicked the link, now that I looked at the file I want to remove it from my Paper Docs, but I cannot find the option to do so, I can archive my own documents and eventually delete them, but I cannot remove or leave that document that was "shared" with me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I am new to Dropbox Paper, I manage my notes elsewher but want to move all of them to Paper, I will pull the trigger once I can also have offline access to those notes on my Mac.

59 Replies 59

carrozo
New member | Level 2

Agree with everyone else here who's outraged. 

Get this - I can still view a bunch of documents from an ex-employer because they were accidentally shared to my dormant personal account because my gmail was stuck in the internal google directory from an initial consultancy period before I joined fulltime. 

Perhaps your enterprise security team can get a little spooked now and dedicate some engineering resource to resolving this? Or will you wait til it blows up in your face and tanks your stock price? 

carrozo
New member | Level 2

Any chance you could use your super user status to put this back on their radar, Tom? 

mhamrah
New member | Level 2

Just want to add to this thread- it is annoying I cannot remove shared docs NOT OWNED ME from my list in the 'Paper Home' page. I understand I could reach out to the owner of the doc, but this is annoying. I simply want the ability, by myself, to remove docs that are cluttering the 'All' section of the paper home view. I should be able to archive, remove, or hide these docs without any other user action.

Carwyn
Helpful | Level 5

This is actually a pretty bad privacy issue. As as been mentioned it's possible for anyone that a document has been shared with to see email addresses of the other recipients. If the owner of the document has become dormant it's impossible for my to remove my details from being shared.

For projects that span organisations, or in the cases when employees leave a company, this situation also means that recipients can not remove themselves from having access. Sure legally the onus is likely with the document owner but this puts recipients in a very awkward sitation, especially if the contents of the documents are sensitive, controvertial or illegal.

Beyond all this, it's simply a terrible user experience to disempower users from beign able to control and declutter their own home screens. This is a fundamental bug.

tomizza o.
Helpful | Level 6

i second everybody here who asks for a decent way to remove oneself from a paper document â€” without reaching out to the owner or anybody else.

we are sharing (everybody with the link is an editor) one document with over 300 individuals right now, some of whom never or no longer want that document on their own dashboard, regardless of whether it counts against their dropbox size or not. right now they keep archiving it — without even knowing that they thus  archive it for everybody else as well

@Jane, I appreciate your ongoing efforts for the last 2+ years — but I do not get what you obviously do not get: your proposed solution for those 2+ years ("ask the owner to remove you") just does not fit a streamlined collaboration workflow efficiently.

why not offer a button "leave document" instead of that bold "invite" button on the very top?

or at the very least have a "leave" in the "..." ellipsis menu: instead of the infamous "archive"-option (which should be available for the owner only)

and could you please remove that "Solved: " from the title?  it just does not ring true for so many of your users

2 ways allowing me to leave a dropbox-paper-document by myself.png

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey @tomizza o., I’m following this discussion closely & submitting your observations for review to the relevant team for future iterations. 

I understand that the discussion has taken a new turn centralizing on your assessment &/or reactions to the functionality, therefore I’ve un-accepted the Solution to the thread. 

Thanks again for your constructive feedback! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

dvmierlo
Helpful | Level 6

Since this is an issue for a very very long time. It not only does Dropbox not listens to it's paying users, it also shows that Dropbox does not repsect the privacy of it's paying users. Dropbox forces me to contact the owner just to opt-out of an invitation I do not want to be involved anymore or being reminded about. Dropbox pushes me in unwanted personal situations I do not want.

man-u-l
Helpful | Level 5

Its been almost 2 years since I made this post and the issue still there, I have stoped using Paper entirely and now use Apple free Notes App, they made a lot of improvements that simply werer not there in 2017, now I can share notes and remove members or those members can also remove themselfs if they choose to do so, pretty simple and logical.

Needless to say that I am dissapointed at the Dropbox team for not fixing such an easy thing, I bet this will take a dev no more than 1 hour to fix, yet they just don't care.

I was one of the first few Dropboxers to invite lots of users to the platform and was super exited when it was new, now for simple file sharing there are a lot of other options, and for collaborating others are coming up too.

Dropbox do all your paper users a favor and allow them to be removed from shared documents, stop making your users angry and make them feel like you don't care.

Pttrssn
New member | Level 2

I agree with everyone on this thread. I had plans to start using paper, but this bug is just completely unacceptable. And it is here, after 2 years!?! 

sani2
Explorer | Level 4

I am having the same problem. This a joke! It's funny how they are just pretending that unfollowing the document solves the issue. It doesn't, and asking another person to remove you from a file is not a solution. 

It's wasting everyones's time. 

Need more support?