cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Duplicate files on Mac

Duplicate files on Mac

HongStarr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, Recently Dropbox requested an updated and now it created two copies of my song files in my DJ software. There seems to be a replica location for all my files called /Library/CloudStorage, in addition to the normal location(see attached screenshots) . Dropbox support claimed that the problem is caused by the DJ software Rekordbox. And Rekordbox insist that it's Dropbox's problem.  I'm using MacOS 12.6.2. Please help!

1.png2.jpeg3.jpeg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

As the CloudStorage folder is the correct location, deleting the shortcut would only affect that shortcut itself, and not the files it points to.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @HongStarr, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

It looks like your Dropbox account is migrating from the old Dropbox folder location to the new CloudStorage location. 

Do you have any remaining files in the old location on your device, or do you still have both Dropbox folders visible?

This will help me to assist further.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

HongStarr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, my DJ software (Rekordbox) shows that I still have duplicates in it's collection. However, I can't seem to find the folder to 'CloudStorage'.

But I can only see in my Finder: Macintosh HD>Users>hongstarr>Dropbox>...

I cannot find the path to this in my Finder showed in Rekordbox (See screenshots): Users>hongstarr>Library>CloudStorage>Dropbox...

I don't want to accidentally delete the only files I have. Please help!

1.png2.png3.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

It looks like the Dropbox folder in Finder is a shortcut to its real location, which appears to be in the CloudStorage location (since it's no longer in Favorites).

You can confirm this by viewing the preferences in the Dropbox desktop application and seeing what folder is visible on the Sync tab.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

HongStarr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

No, only one visible as showed in the screenshot.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @HongStarr, in the sidebar of your Finder, there's a Dropbox option in "Locations".

Does that take you to the folder we see in your screenshot?

And how about if you click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar and then click on the folder icon? Does that take you to the same folder?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

HongStarr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The files directory is the same. The migration to CloudStorage is invisible. I don't understand how this wprks. 

HongStarr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It's the same location. But why are there two directories? The same old one and CloudStorage. How to follow to the CloudStorage directory?

HongStarr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I believe I figured out the problem but not the solution.

Since the Dropbox MacOS migration (https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-faq), Rekordbox is reading the new location as new files.

Because when I drag to reload a Playlist with the exact same files from the exact same location (see screenshots – 1&2), usually Rekordboz will ask whether if “you would like to add duplicates or skip them?” (See screenshot – 3). And I choose ‘skip’ it will just add new files.

But in this case, it adds the same files and doesn’t recognise duplicates for whatever reason - perhaps due to the move from Dropbox to a new hidden location? (See screenshots – 4&5).

Even if I delete the files from the Playlist and reload them, the copy is still in Redkorbox’s ‘Collection’. Unless I choose the option to ‘Remove from Collection’.

Therefore, the Dropbox MacOS migration seems to be causing issues with Rekordbox compatibility. How to solve this?

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

As I'm not familiar with that app, I'm not sure what I'm looking at. In general, since the migration, there is a shortcut from the old location to the new one, so existing apps could still technically refer to the old location, which redirects it to the new CloudStorage folder.

It's possible that your app might not follow the redirect correctly, or understand that there are two folders. You could try removing the shortcut from the Users folder to prevent this in future. 

This won't affect your files, since they're already in the correct, new location. You'll need to remove the duplicate files from your app, however.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?