cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to make sure we keep you updated on the ideas that other users have shared here on the Community? Us too! Check them out over here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Reply and help

Re: Empty Folder

Empty Folder. What has happened to my files?

Clip
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Dropbox Community😄

One of my folders are empty.I have not been logged in for more than a year. I m wondering if this is due to  little storage space since I get the message "You're out of space upgrade now...."  Are my pictures and videos lost ? Or will I get them back if I upgrade ? 

When I check for "deleted files" it says "You dont have any deleted files recently.... "

6 Replies 6

Megan
Dropboxer

Hey there, @Clip, how are you today? 

Are you checking online on the web, or the desktop app? How exactly did you update your content, and is it possible that you opened a new Dropbox account? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Clip
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan and thanks for answering me.😀

I m logging in online,not desktop.I m not sure what you mean by "How exactly did you update your content".. Pictures that are no longer in the empty folder was uploaded a long time ago. Its been years since I last logged in to Dropbox...I m not sure if I have more than one dropbox account.How can I find that out?

Thanks again 🙏

Mark
Super User II

Hi @Clip 

If its been years since you logged in then its very likely the account was removed for inactivity and as such the files are not recoverable. 

Have a look at www.dropbox.com/events and see if that shows you anything

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Clip
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Mark and thanks for your answer. Still have my account,its just that one of the folders are empty.Other files and pictures are still there.I get the message "Your dropbox is full and stopped syncing" once I log in.

Thanks 🙏

Eric

Mark
Super User II

So if Dropbox has stopped syncing because it is full then folders may be empty because they will have been created but unable to be populated with files due to being full. 

If you go back to your original machine the files should be in the Dropbox folder there waiting to upload once you get more quota. If, however, you dont have that device anymore and they've not uploaded (again check www.dropbox.com/events) they wont be available for you because you have no quota so they never uploaded in first place. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Megan
Dropboxer

Hi @Clip, do you have access to the original device you used to update the files from? 

Mark is correct, if the computer wasn't syncing then that would explain why the content is missing from the account. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Need more support?