cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to make sure we keep you updated on the ideas that other users have shared here on the Community? Us too! Check them out over here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Reply and help

Entire team folder deleted because of share request

Entire team folder deleted because of share request

Curtis_Perrin
Explorer | Level 4

Hello

Something catastrophic has happened to all of our files. It would seem my boss might've accidentally done something when trying to setup a file request. Kind of a at a loss as to what we should do. Seems like we're not on Dropbox Business anymore. Anyone experience this type of glitch?

6 Replies 6

Re: Entire team folder deleted because of share request

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Curtis_Perrin, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you check what plan you're on according to this page on your account?

Are you able to see any deleted files on your account, or the recent changes made?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Curtis_Perrin
Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox Business Advanced

Managed to undelete the folder. My boss got an email log and there are a bunch of permission updates that happened when he created the file request. Seems like it triggered something that kicked everything out of the shared folder.

Megan
Dropboxer

Hey @Curtis_Perrin, I am glad to see everything is back on track! 

If you need anything else, we'll be a post away!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Curtis_Perrin
Explorer | Level 4
Well it happened again. After being on the phone with support the best guess was it was my computers fault just coincidence with my boss doing the share request. The drive I have Dropbox on is having connection issues and apparently this sent a delete command for the folder because Dropbox was running and the drive disconnected. So now I’m swapping drives and changing my OS.

This seems like a new glitch because the drive has definitely been a bit flakey for a while. And I say glitch because holy F one user having a drive issue should not delete an entire companies files!!! Perhaps it’s something new with that Dripbox Business Update (which also totally F’d all my file path links and offlined every file which I had specifically curated stuff I needed when I work in the field without internet. Such a piss off) Anyway does this make sense to other people?

Rich
Super User II

@Curtis_Perrin wrote:
The drive I have Dropbox on is having connection issues and apparently this sent a delete command for the folder because Dropbox was running and the drive disconnected.

This is precisely why it has always been recommended that you NOT store your Dropbox folder on an external/removable drive. If the drive becomes disconnected while Dropbox is running, or if Dropbox is started before the drive is connected and visible to your OS, Dropbox could see it as a mass deletion. It has always been this way.

Curtis_Perrin
Explorer | Level 4
Well the drive is internal. It’s just not the one the OS is on.

Would it really be that hard to have a safe guard on the folder such that a single user can’t inadvertently delete everything. This isn’t like a sub folder this is the companies entire shared drive. Also my personal Dropbox stuff seemed to be unscathed by this deletion event. Maybe there should be a two step verification to delete all the files.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Curtis_Perrin Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
    Megan Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?