cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're looking to hear about your experience when using Dropbox in a web browser. What parts of Dropbox feels very slow to you and takes a lot of time to get done? What are you trying to do in the Dropbox web browser when you experience slowness? Tell us right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Reply and help

Files lost when syncing

Files lost when syncing

annamacallister
New member | Level 2

I authorized Dropbox to do a backup of my files and now important info is lost.

I can see some folders, some "completely synced" and some still loading. 

But one of the folder that says that is completely synced don't have all the files that I originally had on the folder.

I tried to restore the deleted files but still, lost files.

How do I recover them in my computer? I don't even care if they are not on the dropbox but I need the files back. 

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Re: Files lost when syncing

Whitecatcat
Helpful | Level 6

🤔 Well.. If you say they are loading.. They are still loading to your computer most probably.  

How did you try to restore them?

annamacallister
New member | Level 2

I recovered all the deleted files to see if there was something in there but the files I was trying to find are completely lost.

The folder, in which I am 100% sure the files were, is supposed to be done - the folder has the green tick.

I was reading some other threads and it is related with the selective syncing. They delete the files from your computer but then they are uncapable to show all the files in the dropbox... i don't know if it is looking for you to pay for extra space but anyways... 

Is there any way to reverse this?

Whitecatcat
Helpful | Level 6

! Of course, there is. Selective sync is a feature. A setting to remove the files from your computer to save hard drive space. You select what you want to have saved in your computer. Even the files you don't see in your computer, are safe on the cloud (Dropbox.com) so if this is a selective sync confusion there is nothing to worry about. Here is a help center article with all the details about selective sync. https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/selective-sync-overview

Check out the steps below. 

To check and uncheck which folders to store on your computer:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac).
  2. Click your avatar (profile picture or initials).
  3. Click Preferences
  4. Click the Sync tab.
  5. Under Selective Sync, click Choose folders (Mac) or Selective Sync… (Windows).
  6. Check the folders you’d like saved on your hard drive. Uncheck the folders you’d like removed.
  7. Click Update.

You will see some syncing and once the green checkmarks are back, you will have your files showing to your computer! :slight_smile:

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Whitecatcat Helpful | Level 6
    annamacallister New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?