cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Files open very slow

Files open very slow

Platinumaa
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

recently i have had issues with dropbox (db) opening files extemely slow. i figured it was my computer so i bought/installed a new 1tb solid state drive, reformatted, re-installed everything.. and it still opened slow, like 7-10 seconds per file (yes, can drive a man nuts). i decided to do a little troubleshooting and copied a file to my desktop to see if it still opened slow and BOOM.. flew open. so it looks like its dropbox that is having the issue. my dropbox folder is located on my c:. we live in the woods and have satellite for internet (not sure if that matters). windows 10, and brand new dell precision work station. windows defender is disabled (read that was an issue also). the files i mostly use are "autocad" files (.dwg)

thanks for the help!

27 Replies 27

Platinumaa
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

havent recieved anything yet. BUT.. i did just notice, when im connected to my regular home internet (satellite) it opens aroun 10-15 seconds. when i tether from my phone for internet it takes aroun 5 seconds.

why? it should be reading from the local drive, it seems its going to the internet to get information..?

Platinumaa
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

walter, i apologize but i havent received an email yet. would/can it be in some notification area on my dropbox login area?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Platinumaa, I just wanted to jump in and ask if this could by any chance be due to a third party app running in the background?

Could you try temporarily closing third party apps, including security software and antivirus, that could be hindering the startup and syncing process of the desktop app? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Let us know how it goes, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Waverly
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

There are several posted questions about Office programs freezing when opening Dropbox files. They open using file/Windows Explorer, but not directly through the Office programs. The other threads have Dropbox reps suggesting time-wasting solutions that lead nowhere, and the thread ends - see the link below. This is the one post that resolves the problem. Dropbox should add this to all the other threads, which typically end with I'm leaving Dropbox - which I was about to do too.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Opening-Microsoft-Word-documents-from-...

Alana818
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Walter,

I'm having the same issue as well. Previewing and opening files are extremely slow. Yes, I just downloaded the new app.

Can someone please help me as soon as possible. I've been having this issues for a few days now, and need to review quite a few images.

Platinumaa
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

it turns out my issue was slow internet service. i assumed the internet service speed didnt matter since DB files were stored locally. i live in the woods and used satellite and files opened PAINFULLY slow. i switched to cellular internet (blazing hog) and the issue went away. now files open normally as they should

Alana818
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

thanks for the intel! my internet is running as normal, and I'm only having the issue with this site 😞

Alana818
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

thank the heavens! it's working now! 

thank you Platinumaa again for chimming in : )

Need more support?