cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Folder disappears when not synced with selective sync

Folder disappears when not synced with selective sync

GoranW
Explorer | Level 3

Hi! After a hastle, I found selective sync. My whole computer was synced to dropbox. It caused problems for 1 folder for the .exe program I wanted to run. After turning off sync for that folder on my desktop, it disappeared. Nowhere to be found on my entire computer. It appears again when i sync it. How do I fix so that I can see the folder on my desktop without syncing it?

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@GoranW wrote:

After turning off sync for that folder on my desktop, it disappeared. Nowhere to be found on my entire computer. It appears again when i sync it. How do I fix so that I can see the folder on my desktop without syncing it?

Selective Sync is used to remove folders from your local drive, while leaving them in your account online. It's a feature meant to save disk space for folders that you don't use often.

If you don't want a folder to sync to Dropbox, either move the folder out of your Dropbox folder to another location on your drive, or tell Dropbox to ignore the folder.

GoranW
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks! I am currently trying to exclude the folder, but no matter what I change, it cant find the right pathway. Every time I change something it gives me errors. I followed the guide exactly. Could you help me with this personally? 

Cubicle23
Explorer | Level 4

Wow this seems very very broken. I am also trying to exclude a subfolder from syncing. Video editing proxies and auto backups can be 100's of gigs and not needed to be shared with my other editing station. When Dropbox "removes" this from the file explorer the Davinci program cannot read or write to it any longer. Removing a folder from selective sync should default to the folder being "ignored" with a secondary tick to also handle the online only/offline properties. This is making me think that my Dropbox susbscription should be used towards my own NAS so I can have proper control over my own file structure.

Need more support?