cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn more about Dropbox Replay? We’ve just launched a brand new group, find out how to join here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folders aren't being deleted

Folders aren't being deleted

clkbox
Explorer | Level 4

I have deleted files from folders yet the folders remain. How can I delete these folders? Its like once something is created in dropbox it seems to never go away even when I delete it from folders that I control and originated....

7 Replies 7

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @clkbox, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Are you attempting to delete the folders from Dropbox site directly, the Dropbox folder on your machine with the desktop app installed, or from the mobile app?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

clkbox
Explorer | Level 4

when I am signed in to my drop box on my computer....however I did finally get somewhere where it gave the choice to delete folders so I removed the folders.

I have been deleting files to reduce below the the free 2gb capacity. yet it does not seem to be moving the needle very much. There are files that have been shared with me where I am not the owner or originator, but it seems these files also impact my storage limits. I really do not want to use dropbox as a backup storage but only as a file exchange where I can deliver large files to others so they can download to their system and then delete the files from my dropbox....I don;t want others to be using my dropbox except to deliver files and not as another storage location....does that make sense?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info, as you've discovered, shared folders take up quota on all active members' accounts. 

If you need to send files to other users, you could ask them to create a file request link, which allows you to upload files directly to their account.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

clkbox
Explorer | Level 4

one other question re: where files live, if I delete a file from my drop box does it also delete it from others drop box? does it matter who originated the file as to where it actually lives  or who controls it?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Are you referring to files in shared folders? Deleting a file from a shared folder, or even moving it to a private folder, would delete it for all members of that shared folder.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

clkbox
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Jay for the information. From my point of view it would seem that the storage of files should lie only with the originator/author of the file so those it shared with do not get dinged for it being sent to their drop box, only the originator carries the storage burden; So if someone shared something with me I should be able to download it then delete it from my dropbox without affecting the authors file or any others dropbox that may have been shared as well....

I'm sure there is some technical reason for how it all works as it does;   digital info and the clouds are very obscure and not transparent yet have a life of their own somewhere on the internet hwy or coffee shop for all to see...  🙂

Jay
Dropbox Staff

If you are given edit access to a shared folder, this means you can add, edit and delete files within that folder. 

As every member of a shared folder can add to and modify the contents, the shared folder counts toward storage quotas in each member's account. This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited storage space by stacking accounts and shared folders.

If all you need to access to download files, they can share a link to the folder, which will only open on the site. You can download it to your machine or add it to your Dropbox account, without affecting the original user. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    clkbox Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?