cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grey X problem with my file

Grey X problem with my file

SORN
New member | Level 2

Hi everyone i have problem with files after i install dropbox i dont know why i can't open some of my files they show me with grey X (  u can see in the picture=)

Hope anyone help me to solve this i feel a little angry with this because this grey X hide some importance of my files that i work with everyday i hope dropbox community find me solution 

Thank u guy in advanced.

Capture2.JPGCapture1.JPG

8 Replies 8

Mark
Super User II

I dont think thats from Dropbox - that isnt a Dropbox icon.

Does the file open if you move it outside of the Dropbox folder?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

SORN
New member | Level 2

Hi no, i did'nt move anything outside dropbox when i intalled dropbox maybeduring install there are some problem that i dont know because this is my first time i installed dropbox i dont know what happen before i installed dropbox i don't have greyX like that with my files.

SORN
New member | Level 2

Hope anyone help me find solution with this i mean i have importance files that i can't open and i work with everyday.

Mark
Super User II

You havent done what I've asked - we can only help if you do what we ask you to try and do. 

As I said I'm sure this is NOT a Dropbox issue - that icon does not belong to Dropbox. 

But, try moving a file outside of the Dropbox folder and then open it. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

SORN
New member | Level 2

u asked me but honnestly wtih u i really don't know what happen like i said this my first time i install dropbox and before i never had that issue so i dont know what happen or click something wrong that make my file with grey X but i sitll dont know.

Can u show how to move file out side dropbox i am not sure what u mean ?

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox is just a folder on your computer like every single other one. You just treat it exactly as that - what you put in that folder does not change in anyway, it just syncs to the cloud.

So to test whats happening try and open a file with an X over it both in that Dropbox folder and then say drag and drop it to the desktop and try there. 

kurt2000
New member | Level 2

just rar files and unrar then 🙂 thats it

kraabel
New member | Level 2

You are wrong with your response - and pretty aggressive about it, at that.  I had the same error, which turned out to be an issue with Dropbox crashing and needing to restart. The second I restarted the Dropbox app, the x disappeared, and things came back to normal.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kraabel New member | Level 2
    kurt2000 New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    SORN New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?