cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hiding picture data

Hiding picture data

Adam110
New member | Level 2

Hi there. I'm new to drop box so please excuse any ignorance. I have basic Dropbox, how do I hide my photo info (camera, settings etc) when sending pics? Thank you.

10 Replies 10

Rich
Super User II

@Adam110 wrote:
I have basic Dropbox, how do I hide my photo info (camera, settings etc) when sending pics? Thank you.

That information is embedded within the file itself. Dropbox has no way to hide it. Find a utility that can strip the metadata (EXIF data) from your images before you upload them to Dropbox.

Adam110
New member | Level 2
Hi Rich,
Thank you. Really!? That'll stop me using it! I need my EXIF data just not for this. It's mission chopping and changing. Thank you so much for getting back to me.

Glebich
Explorer | Level 3

I also need to hide this INFO block from the dropbox image viewer. How to do it? Even if I clean up metadata from the image, it still exists there. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Glebich, just to make sure we're on the same page, could you send us a screenshot of what you're referring to?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Glebich
Explorer | Level 3

Screen Shot 2022-08-18 at 1.20.48 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-08-18 at 1.20.54 PM.png

@Walter This info block. Every time someone uploads a file, it shows his name, but it is super insecure and needs to be hidden. How to do it? 

Jackson
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Glebich, sorry for jumping in.

I am afraid there is currently no way to hide the "uploaded by" part of the metadata.

If you want to see a way to strip metadata, on the Dropbox website, please post it on the Share an idea board.

For the rest of the metadata, you can use the steps outlined by @Rich.

Hope that clears things up.

Jackson
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dbacon
New member | Level 2

I understand that the exif data is embedded in the image, but isn't there a way to tell Dropbox not to display it?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dbacon, thanks for joining the discussion here.

I'm afraid there's no way within Dropbox to remove or hide the exif data of (shared) files. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

kree photography
New member | Level 2

When you share a photo via dropbox, you can click in the bottom lower left corner info button ( circled "i") how do you turn this off as I don't want to ave this seen...?

Need more support?