cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to make sure we keep you updated on the ideas that other users have shared here on the Community? Us too! Check them out over here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Reply and help

How can I clear out my storage space after enabling the backup feature?

How can I clear out my storage space after enabling the backup feature?

gfitz
Explorer | Level 4

I only use dropbox to share files.  I don't use it to back up my computer.  Earlier this month, I was tricked into agreeing to more storage space.  I regretted what I'd agreed to as soon as I realized what I did.  I figured, at the end of the "trial" period, I'd decline to pay for the additional storage space and I'd go back to the original set up I had.  Instead, Dropbox sucked up a ton of info from my computer maxing out what little storage space I had.  Now, it wants me to buy a plan to get more storage space that I don't want or need.  Is there any way to delete what is in my current storage space so I can go back to how things were before I f*cked up?  If not, does anyone have a recommendation for another service like Dropbox that I can use that won't require a monthly fee? 

2 Replies 2

Re: How can I clear out my storage space after enabling the backup feature?

Hannah
Dropboxer

Hey @gfitz, thanks for posting your question to our Community.

It sounds like you enabled our backup feature on your Dropbox application.

What you'll need to do first and foremost, is to turn this feature off. You can do that by following the steps in this article.

These steps should also move your desktop files back to their original locations, thus freeing up your space in Dropbox. 

Let me know how it goes.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Re: How can I clear out my storage space after enabling the backup feature?

gfitz
Explorer | Level 4

Thank god i was able to talk to an actual IT person.  he went to the dropbox home page.  (the one with all my folders listed)  he highlighted the file labeled 3T then deleted it and everything went back to normal.  No links to instructions that linked to other instructions that led to a dead end. 

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

gfitz Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?