cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I permanently delete files & check if Backup is enabled?

How do I permanently delete files & check if Backup is enabled?

boppy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a very old account. I deleted many files but it still says I am using too much space. How do I permanently delete files. The dropbox instructions say to check the box next to the file you want to permanently delete and click permanently delete. Only there is no "permanently delete" button to click.

Also, I don't see an option for backups anywhere - so I doubt I have them turned on. 

Geez, what the heck is a label. 

Please advise.

Thank you. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@boppy wrote:

... I am using too much space. How do I permanently delete files.

You don't need to permanently delete files. Files in Deleted Files don't take up space in your account. Permanently deleting files just removes them from your Deleted Files so they can no longer be recovered. You won't gain any additional space by permanently deleting files. You've already reclaimed that space when you deleted the files initially.

How do I permanently delete files. The dropbox instructions say to check the box next to the file you want to permanently delete and click permanently delete. Only there is no "permanently delete" button to click.

You do that from within the Deleted Files page, not your normal Files listing.

Also, I don't see an option for backups anywhere - so I doubt I have them turned on. 

You can find any backups that you have on your account here.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@boppy wrote:

... I am using too much space. How do I permanently delete files.

You don't need to permanently delete files. Files in Deleted Files don't take up space in your account. Permanently deleting files just removes them from your Deleted Files so they can no longer be recovered. You won't gain any additional space by permanently deleting files. You've already reclaimed that space when you deleted the files initially.

How do I permanently delete files. The dropbox instructions say to check the box next to the file you want to permanently delete and click permanently delete. Only there is no "permanently delete" button to click.

You do that from within the Deleted Files page, not your normal Files listing.

You can find any backups that you have on your account here.

boppy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you for responding.  Have a nice day.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

boppy New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?