cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How long does Dropbox keep files for?

How long does Dropbox keep files for?

myhappyforever
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Once I've uploaded my files to DropBox, will they stay there forever, until I delete them manually? Or do they get deleted automatically at some point? Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

It depends... if you keep the account active and regularly log in OR pay for it they, in theory, are there forever. If you dont then accounts are purged after 12 months of inactivity. 

The other thing to be cautious of is that accounts which are over quota could have files removed to bring them under quota (as per T&C's) but thats not something that has happened yet. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

It depends... if you keep the account active and regularly log in OR pay for it they, in theory, are there forever. If you dont then accounts are purged after 12 months of inactivity. 

The other thing to be cautious of is that accounts which are over quota could have files removed to bring them under quota (as per T&C's) but thats not something that has happened yet. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

myhappyforever
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks so much!

navid_j
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi @Mark, thank you for your answer 

I have an additional question, I really appreciate it if you would help me 

hypothetically I pay for a subscription and get more GBs for my storage and I upload my files and it goes over the quota and then I stop my payment and after 4 or 5 months I pay again and get a subscription plan with more storage than my data. does Dropbox keep my files forever?

I'm concerned about what you said about bringing accounts under quota, could you please give me a T&C link for it?

the reason why I'm asking is I've used Dropbox and it's great but I'm living in a country (Iran) where the USD price is flying and our national currency is worth nothing so I can't pay monthly because of the high USD price here

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @navid_j! I hope you don’t mind me jumping in. 

You can check this Help Center article for more info on Dropbox accounts closed due to inactivity.

Other than that, and just to be on the same page, would you like to know whether this could happen to your Dropbox account, if it’s been upgraded to a paid subscription in the meantime? 

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

navid_j
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi @Nancy

oh not at all. thank you so much for your reply, it's a big help

yes, I really appreciate if you would explain it to me.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @navid_j, I'd be happy to explain it for you.

So, if your account is ever downgraded, Dropbox will not delete any of your files. If your Dropbox folder becomes over quota all that should happen is that syncing stops. Dropbox will only sync until you hit your quota, so if you are over quota all that should happen is that Dropbox will not sync any new files. 

When you re-upgrade to a paid plan, you should be able to upload, and sync new content to the account.

I hope this helps!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

navid_j
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

thank you so much @Megan for you help 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@navid_j wrote:

thank you so much @Megan for you help 

Just again to add to what Megan has said that while Dropbox has never deleted files yet the T&C's do permit it - so dont leave it too long, or, at least too long without logging in. 

Need more support?