cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete a file on my local computer without it being deleted on dropbox?

How to delete a file on my local computer without it being deleted on dropbox?

linhlinh
New member | Level 2

my point of using Dropbox was to create a backup incase of a virus attack or some accidents that might delete all of my files. i was hyped having found Dropbox but my mood dropped fast as i deleted a file and it announced me that the file would be deleted on Dropbox too. i have spent days figuring how to sync and back everything up, i don't want to move to another app. can you give me advice please.  

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@linhlinh wrote:

how to delete a file on my local computer without it being deleted on dropbox

You can mark files or folders as Online-only (paid plans only), or you can use Selective Sync (all plans) to remove entire folders from your local drive completely.

tomtalks
Helpful | Level 5

Your reply is not about my post

tomtalks
Helpful | Level 5

But you did not understand what my question was. I want to delete the files on my computer like I used to and then the dropbox sync to delete that on dropbox.com

Zepgurl
Explorer | Level 4

I have the same question.  I want to delete a file on my hard drive, but keep it in Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Zepgurl Explorer | Level 4
    tomtalks Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?