cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Storage Space

I have deleted many files, but my devices are still not syncing

Marti4621
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have deleted many photos and documents from my iPhone and MacAir to free storage space. My devices quite syncing a couple of months ago but now I cannot reactivate this operation. How do I proceed now?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries, Marti!

If your goal is to clear up space in your Dropbox account, all you need to do is delete some files from it. 

That way, your devices will start syncing again, so there would be no need to create a new account.

Of course, before deleting the files, you can save a copy to your computer, by downloading them first.

If you do wish to delete your account though, you can do so by following the steps here

Just be careful, because if the account is deleted, it can no longer be recovered. 

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Have you deleted the files out of the Dropbox folder? If so are you now under quota? 

What does www.dropbox.com/account/plan show?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Marti4621
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I did the big purge on my devices. Can you help me get into a place in DropBox to synch with the new storage stats now which is not close to the limit for the free version? I'm not a sophisticated user like my son.

Thanks, in advance. Marti

Marti4621
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Mark,

I live 5 miles from the corporate HQ in RWC. Can I bring my computer there and have someone help?

Marti

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Marti4621, thanks for reaching out.

Have you looked in the plan tab in your account settings, like Mark suggested, to make sure you've actually freed up enough space in your Dropbox, for syncing to resume?

Let me know what you find.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Marti4621
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks for reaching out!

As I did not do the purge in my Dropbox, it doesn't recognize my changes. I just emailed Mark with the idea that I "unsubscribe" or cancel my account, create immediately a new one, copy my files and from that point on, only make deletions and additions on it.

Do you agree? There may be a time when I grow in my file creating activities to become paying customer, but for now, I just wanted to have a cleaned-up "desktop" if you will.

I cannot find how to delete my account on the site. Can you help?

Marti

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No worries, Marti!

If your goal is to clear up space in your Dropbox account, all you need to do is delete some files from it. 

That way, your devices will start syncing again, so there would be no need to create a new account.

Of course, before deleting the files, you can save a copy to your computer, by downloading them first.

If you do wish to delete your account though, you can do so by following the steps here

Just be careful, because if the account is deleted, it can no longer be recovered. 

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Marti4621
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Hannah,

I cannot thank you enough. This action was not one I would have reasoned as possible. I am very busy on a project that consumes my time and brain power for processing and connecting various inter-related subjects... and a lot of writing! It ends soon but I definitely will do this tomorrow morning when my brain is really sharp.  

Kind regards,

Marti

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Not a problem, Marti, I totally understand!

I do hope this helps, but don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Marti4621
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have deleted files bring total to 1.31GB; will system now resume synching automatically? It is very important that it synchs today. Thanks, in advance. Brilliant customer service business model BTW. 

Regards,

Marti

Need more support?