cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Not happy with your Spotify Wrapped? Check out how Kevin on the Dropbox team used Paper to make sure he keeps discovering new music over here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Reply and help

I'm out of storage after enabling backup. When I delete files they get deleted from One Drive too

I'm out of storage after enabling backup. When I delete files they get deleted from One Drive too

sabah1982
Explorer | Level 3

Seems i mistakenly selected backup my PC, now i ran out of storage.

It seems my OneDrive files which was on my PC for backed up on my DropBox and ran out of space.

When i delete the files from the DropBox now, it automatically deletes it from OneDrive.

How are they linked. Why is it when i delete a file on DropBox, it automatically deletes the files in OneDrive, how can i delete them from Dropbox without impacting my OneDrive files

5 Replies 5

Re: Deleted Files

Rich
Super User II

@sabah1982 wrote:

Seems i mistakenly selected backup my PC, now i ran out of storage.

You'll need to disable the backup feature.

sabah1982
Explorer | Level 3

I tried these steps, but the "Adjust settings" option isn't there.

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @sabah1982, sorry to jump in, but can you clarify what options you're seeing in the Backups tab in the desktop app's preferences

Do you see any files being backed up on this page?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

sabah1982
Explorer | Level 3

When i click on Manage Backup, it opens up a Window with the word BETA greyed out on top, and says 

"Want to keep your files backed up?"

Choose the folders to automatically  ............... blah blah etc etc

then it gives me few folders to select and an option to set up or select not right now.

Few thins to keep in mind.

It seems i already by mistake when got the new PC, i clicked on Backup, for some time, i saw that backup folder in dropbox website, but i don't see it anymore.

If i click on that link u have shared, there is nothing there.... but actually there should be a folder called backup, which i by mistake selected to backup my old pc.

my ask is

How can i stop this sync and delete all the backup files which the dropbox took, without impacting my onedrive

The backup folder containers few folders which contains few files in them, it seems it took a backup from my onedrive.

now, only if i search in the browser for a certain file i know the name of, then it pops up, and if i delete that file, it automatically deletes it from my Onedrive... As if the dropbox and onedrive are in sync.

I try to access the backup folder from the file explorer on the PC but i can't find that backup folder, and i can't find it in the website of dropbox either.

Walter
Dropboxer

Could you try moving your files from your Dropbox folder into your Desktop, Downloads or Documents folders of your computer @sabah1982

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    sabah1982 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?