cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: TOTALLY Lost... ☹️

I'm totally lost on how to use my Dropbox account

FLDirector
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm a Dropbox user for many years... you know, one of those guys that used to store info & pics to see them from all of my devices, BUT...

I never kept track of the system changes and upgrades. Now I'm presented with a "new" Dropbox, and I can't find how to do simple tasks.

For instance:

How do I remove items stored in Dropbox from my local drive? I can't update my system, due to 'running out of disk space'.

Can someone give me a hint of what I'm missing?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @FLDirector, I'd be more than happy to help!

If you want to delete an item from your Dropbox account, you can simply delete it by following these steps

I also wanted to mention though that, if you want to keep the files but you want to save space on your computer, you can use selective sync

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any trouble along the way. Cheers!

PS. If you have any other issues or questions with the desktop app that you're seeing, don't hesitate to get back to me. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @FLDirector, I'd be more than happy to help!

If you want to delete an item from your Dropbox account, you can simply delete it by following these steps

I also wanted to mention though that, if you want to keep the files but you want to save space on your computer, you can use selective sync

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any trouble along the way. Cheers!

PS. If you have any other issues or questions with the desktop app that you're seeing, don't hesitate to get back to me. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

FLDirector
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks, Lucil, for the first step.

I want to keep the folders and files  Dropbox, allowing them to be viewed from other devices, but delete them from my desktop hard drive.

Thanks.

dsapadin
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Got a notice my Dropbox is at its limit.  I don't have ANYTHING in Dropbox and don't even know how to use it.  Time to cancel my account.

David Sapadin

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @dsapadin, if you're not seeing any files in Dropbox, is it possible you've enabled the computer or external drive backup, which can be found here?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?