cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I delete a Dropbox file synced on my computer, will it delete it from my Dropbox account?

If I delete a Dropbox file synced on my computer, will it delete it from my Dropbox account?

Jessica G.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have been trying to copy all of my files on my computer to drop box. I am on to pictures and have a ton - now I'm running out of space on my hard drive. Can I safely delete files from my hard drive? I am worried if I do this, my synced files in dropbox will also be deleted. Please help!

30 Replies 30

Maby
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Make sure the app is uninstalled in the computer only then you can delete the files from your hard drive without worrying that it will delete it in your dropbox account.

Im using mac. I deleted the app.
as soon as I deleted the app.
I went on my hard drive files and check a file that I knew I shared in the dropbox(Of course I made sure files that are important are copied on an external drive as well).
I deleted the file in my hard drive, and check online account it is still there.
Freed up space from my computer and files are still in my dropbox account. Always make sure have a backup copy on an external drive.

Maby
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Regardless of either account exist or not or logged in, when a computer has an installed dropboxed and has an account sync, that file deleted in from your pc will be deleted as well.

to be safe save all your files on an external hd before deleting in your computer.

If you are sharing the file to someone in dropbox,upod deletion they will no longer see it.

ScotAndy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So what is the point of paying for box if i still need to keep all my pics on my hard drive? I thought my photos were savely kept on Dropbox if anything happened to my hard drive?? The way i understand most replies is that i am wasting my money......

@Robert J. wrote:

Your Dropbox in the cloud is a mirror of the Dropbox folder on the hard drive. Files added to the Dropbox folder on the hard drive are uploaded to the cloud, but must also remain on the hard drive . If you delete them from the hard drive, they will similarly be deleted from the cloud. The local and cloud folders are kept in step. Dropbox provides mirror storage, not additional storage.

Jonhwatson
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi All,

I installed Dropbox on a public computer (which is my mistake - I accept the same). I synced my files, updated the files and then uninstalled Dropbox. My queries are:

1 If someone else re-installs Dropbox, can they see my file?

2 When I checked on Security, it was saying as Linked to that Public Computer. I removed that linking. Does it mean person who has got that computer can see my file before I removed that link?

3 How can I see the activities (I have got Personal Drop Box)? I can see the activities such as uploading or downloading but could not see the activities such as viewing or accessing my Dropbox.

Much appreciated for your help.

Thanks.

JW

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Jonhwatson wrote:

I synced my files, updated the files and then uninstalled Dropbox. My queries are:

1 If someone else re-installs Dropbox, can they see my file?

Unless you also removed the Dropbox folder, your files are still on the computer. Uninstalling Dropbox does not remove the local copy of your files. It just uninstalls the the software. If you didn't remove the Dropbox folder yourself, anyone with access to the computer will have access to your files.

2 When I checked on Security, it was saying as Linked to that Public Computer. I removed that linking. Does it mean person who has got that computer can see my file before I removed that link?

See above. If you didn't remove them yourself, yes, but the link had nothing to do with it.

3 How can I see the activities (I have got Personal Drop Box)? I can see the activities such as uploading or downloading but could not see the activities such as viewing or accessing my Dropbox.

The Events page will show you the activity on your account, but it does show when someone views or accesses a file. If you uninstalled Dropbox then the app couldn't sync your files anymore. If you logged in to your account in a browser and didn't log out, then someone using that computer may still have access to your account. Make sure there are no active web sessions on the Security page as well.

Jonhwatson
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Richard,

Thanks. Sorry I am coming back late.

Basically, I installed Drop-box --> linked my folders from Public Computer --> uploaded the files in Dropbox synced folder --> disconnected my Dropbox account --> uninstalled Dropbox from the Public Computer.

Does it still mean that someone can go in my Dropbox synced folders? This is because I believe I have come out of Dropbox login it should not show the folders to anyone who goes to Public Computer.

However, from your message it seems that if someone reinstalls Dropbox then someone can access my previous folders.

Can you please clarify more?

Thanks.

JW.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
They don't even have to install Dropbox.

When you installed Dropbox, you synced your files down to that computer. When you uninstalled Dropbox, your files would no longer sync, but the copied that was placed on that computer are still there. Uninstalling Dropbox does not remove them. It only prevents them from syncing going forward. The local Dropbox folder would still exist on that computer and anyone with access to the computer would have access to the files within the folder.

sasha212
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Don't delete!!! Unsync!!!! Go into your Dropbox icon in the upper right corner of your screen and click on the "Settings" icon. Then pull down and select the "Preferences" choice: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6lvoegv2iqbcal/Screenshot%202017-12-20%2017.32.25.png?dl=0 From Preferences, you'll get a popup... Click on the "Sync" icon and then "Choose folders to sync" which will allow you to unsync folders from your desktop. https://www.dropbox.com/s/whyb2fo3jqgjiew/Screenshot%202017-12-20%2017.33.04.png?dl=0

Jonhwatson
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Rich,

To get it correct, I created the Dropbox account and after 2 minutes, I installed it on Public Computer. I synced some folders and uploaded the same in Dropbox.

Then I logged out of my Dropbox online account. I deleted those folders as well as uninstalled Dropbox.

My question is - if someone has got an access to that Public Computer and reinstall Dropbox, can they still access my files and folders (which had been deleted)?

Many Thanks.

JW.

sorenrv
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Robert J.wrote:

Your Dropbox in the cloud is a mirror of the Dropbox folder on the hard drive. Files added to the Dropbox folder on the hard drive are uploaded to the cloud, but must also remain on the hard drive . If you delete them from the hard drive, they will similarly be deleted from the cloud. The local and cloud folders are kept in step. Dropbox provides mirror storage, not additional storage.

I tend to have a different perspective. What is stated in the quote is perfectly true for all folders that you choose to sync. Whenever you create a folder, either within your local Dropbox folder hierarchy or on dropbox.com, the default is that the folder will be synced. 

Dropbox certainly provides additional storage by offering the option to create folder hierarchies that are not synced to your local device(s). I have a number of folders with very large music projects that I only keep on dropbox.com. On my local devices I deselect these folders under the "Selective sync" setting. This is very convenient for backup purposes. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

BillyBee New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    AngelStorm New member | Level 2
    Ferguson New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?