cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intolerable slow speed moving files

Intolerable slow speed moving files

William P.3
New member | Level 1

https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/202007985-CPU-usage-making-version-3-intolerab...

Basically have the same issue. Very frustrated.

I tried to move/delete a single picture from camera upload folder to another folder to organize my pictures, but every time I have to wait about 10 seconds or longer for ONE copy & paste action.

I am grateful that I can auto upload all my pictures & videos from my iPhone to the cloud but Dropbox makes it impossible for me to organize them. Now I have tons of pictures & videos that i could impossibly move them out of the camera upload folder.

Dropbox discontinued support to 10.5.8 (which was a HUGE inconvenience) where I had dropbox worked perfectly fine for me. Since I was unable to upgrade to newer version on my old iMac and I do find the needs anyway to upgrade my computing power, I decided to purchase a new macbookpro running 10.10.2 w/ i7.

Sadly, Dropbox has failed me by using so much of CPU power which makes it impossible for me to move ONE single file from camera upload folder to another. I am not sure if any other user runs into this same problem but this will be my last year of $99 subscription as there are many other competitors out there.

Are we in stone age? I mean WINDOWS 98 can perform a copy & paste function better than DROPBOX. Very Frustrated. I have tons of files & videos that will forever pile up in my camera upload folder.

8 Replies 8

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

You randomly jump from talking about a web site copy and paste to a machine copy and paste like they are the same thing.

On the website DB is doing the work, on the machine the os is doing it.

William P.3
New member | Level 1

Dropbox is installed in my OS.

The simple copy & paste function is performed within the OS.

And Dropbox application is extremely slow performing this simple copy & paste function from a folder to another folder.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

DB doesnt copy and paste files at all. The OS file browser does that.

Mauricio G.7
New member | Level 1

Hello, I see it too. Move 10 files actually takes a long time. To organize is annoying. He would have to spend all day every 15 seconds moving 10 files. If I select about 100, I realize that the process does not. It does the operation.

I think my Dropbox people who have to work on that algorithm.

Christo C.
New member | Level 1

Same problem here. I want to organize large number of files in my account, and it takes for ever. I don't understand why it is the browser fault (in my case Chrome)? 

Scott R.6
Explorer | Level 4

I noticed that when I move (cut/paste) files from the same drive (outside DB to inside DB)  the OS (Win10) is reading the original file and then writing the new file instead of just changing the NTFS table. Not sure if this is a DB thing or a windows thing. Personally, I'm not too keen because I'm currently copying ~800GB of files and worry about errors in the copy (as well as just the time it takes to copy).

The high CPU usage is (I assume) DB hashing the files for synchronization purposes. If you close out DB I imagine it will stop hashing the files and CPU usage will go down.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

Scott R. :  It wont generate a new file on the same drive you did a CUT/PASTE. If you said COPY/PASTE tho, thats another story.

Scott R.6
Explorer | Level 4

>This is with search indexing paused and dropbox paused. I moved (cut/paste) from F:\Onedrive\Photos\Slides to F:\Dropbox\Photos\Slides.</p>
<p>Maybe I am just misreading how windows calculates

However, things do seem to go much faster with DB sync being paused and windows search being paused.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Scott R.6 Explorer | Level 4
    DaveC2 New member | Level 1
    Christo C. New member | Level 1
    Mauricio G.7 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?