cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to restore files deleted over 2 years ago?

Is it possible to restore files deleted over 2 years ago?

pwll
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Used to be a paying customer 2 years ago. Since I didn't need the service anymore, canceled subscription and didn't login anymore.

Yesterday I ended up needing the files. I was aware the files would be deleted eventually, but I had a backup somewhere else. I don't have it anymore.

So, I tried to open a ticket, but I need to be a paying customer to use that option. But, before subscribing, I´d like to know if Dropbox can restore files deleted from 2 years ago (or even prior to that).

Through a ticket or a extra paying service, if there is anyway to restore my files... Is it possible?

Tnks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @pwll 

No its not possible now, sorry. Even if you'd continued paying recovery is only possible for 180 days. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @pwll 

No its not possible now, sorry. Even if you'd continued paying recovery is only possible for 180 days. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

gbruit
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

That's a strange answer because I still pay (since 2008) for unlimited file recovery. (Unlimited is much longer than 180 days!)

This is in my subscription: 

Unlimited extended version history

€39.00 per year. Unlimited file version history.

So?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

If you are on a depreciated product (i.e. what was called Pack-Rat) then you can do different recovery options BUT they were opt in only when they were being phased out - and did so many years ago. There are also various 'versions' of it. For example the one I have is unlimited and free, there was unlimited and a per year fee and also at some point a 1 yr plan. A key point here is if you miss a payment, or often change plans, you may lose it.

However, if you dont have that (and most people now wont) you cannot get it retroactively. 

gbruit
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I still pay for unlimmited version recovery (pack-rat, 

5/9/2022

Dropbox Plus - 2TB + Packrat (unlimited version history) (5/9/2022 to 5/9/2023)

Invoice Receipt €158.88

)

But how can i recover a deleted file deleted somewhere  between 2016 and 2018?

I just get a (slowwwww) list of deleted files starting from now and going back. 

No simple search filename function??

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @gbruit, I hope you're doing well! 

If I were you, I'd contact our Support team, especially since you're on a paid plan. They could look into this more closely, with account-specific info on their end. 

I hope this clarifies!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

CLMY
New member | Level 2

Hello my request has little chance of succeeding but I ask anyway. I deleted files in 2019 out of anger and I would like them back and I only had them on dropbox. Is there a way even if I have to pay?

Rich
Super User II

@CLMY wrote:

Hello my request has little chance of succeeding but I ask anyway. I deleted files in 2019 out of anger and I would like them back and I only had them on dropbox. Is there a way even if I have to pay?

That won't be possible. Files cannot be restored once the recovery period has lapsed (30 or 180 days, depending on account level).

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    CLMY New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    gbruit New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?