cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Missing Dropbox folders and files

Missing Dropbox folders and files

thagen
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Almost all of my files and folder are missing from my work Dropbox . They are
mostly PDFs from shared folders. I don't see them when I check my deleted. A couple weeks agos I deleted the Dropbox
app on my laptop to make more room on my computer. Any suggestions about how to recover them?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

In this case, I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to restore these as they fall outside of the 30 day window.

It would be expected that the files are no longer available on the server to be restored to your account.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here, but please let me know if you have any further questions.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

thagen
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Sorry, I meant I don't see them when I check my deleted files.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @thagen, I hope you're well today!

Can you check your events page here, to check for any actions related to those missing files?

Also, just to clarify, when you removed Dropbox from your laptop, did you unlink/uninstall the app before deleting the Dropbox folder?

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

thagen
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you! I found one of missing filing on my events page. I think I did not unlink /uninstall the app before deleting the Dropbox folder.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me @thagen!

It may be that some deletions were synced before the app was removed from the device in this case.

If you're having trouble finding the other files that are missing, I can suggest checking out these steps too.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

thagen
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks!  I have a Basic Dropbox account, so unfortunately I can't try to rewind.Any other suggestions?

thagen
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Do you have any other suggestions for me?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Are you getting an error when you try and restore the file, @thagen?

Is it possible that it was deleted outside the account's version history window? For a Basic account, this would be 30 days.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

thagen
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes, I am getting error messages when I try to restore the files. They were deleted in August.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

In this case, I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to restore these as they fall outside of the 30 day window.

It would be expected that the files are no longer available on the server to be restored to your account.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here, but please let me know if you have any further questions.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?