cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving a folder with many files in Dropbox fails all the time

Moving a folder with many files in Dropbox fails all the time

--amanda--
Explorer | Level 4

Dear all,

If I post a duplicate question, I apologize. I could not find a similar problem/solution.

I have a folder in Dropbox with about 7000 files in it. I tried to move this folder to another location in Dropbox, but it never happens. 

- First I dragged and dropped the folder in macOS Finder, but the sync gets stuck and nothing happens for about 2 days. However, sync issues tells me that there are no issues. 

- Then I tried in the web browser UI. I selected the folder and used the move command from the dropdown menu. I see a message in a black box, telling me that the move operation is in progress. But when the message disappears, nothing has changed. Even when I look again on the web interface one day later.

All these steps  work as expected for folders with a smaller number of items.

What did I do wrong?

Amanda

1 Reply 1

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @--amanda--, let's jump right into this! 

You mentioned that when you did that, your app got stuck. Can you clarify the app's precise syncing status at the moment? Is it still stuck? 

While we're at it, can you also locate your little Dropbox icon, on your menu bar, next to your WiFi, and tell me the version of the desktop app that you have installed on the device? 

Also, have you repeated the process, using the app, or a different browser altogether? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?