cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to hear how a Strategic Program Manager, Veronika, uses Dropbox to keep projects on track? Well, click right here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Reply and help

Need Help rewinding-MOST FOLDERS MISSING-HELP!!

Need Help rewinding-MOST FOLDERS MISSING-HELP!!

Debra K.4
Explorer | Level 4

Hi...I hope someone can give me the correct steps.  I have a PLUS account and we are supposed to be able to REWIND 30 days, although nothing  seems to be straightforward.

I was away for the weekend ND TRIED TO ACCESS A dropbox file and noticed folders were missing, so I tried to look on my iPhone, and iPad and I could see the files disappearing as I clicked on the folders.  Maybe that was just a cache issue. This is across all devices and on dropbox.com.  Files are slowly showing up in the deleted files folder, but they are not all there at once.  I have tried to restore a couple of them in my deleted folder, but how can I just rewind with my plus account? FREAKING OUT!  Tried to put in the ticket over the weekend but the link  (https://www.dropbox.com/help/security/contact-support-missing-files) does not tell how to get the restoration link, so I could not find that and could not get a ticket in.  No one else has access to my files.  thank you.

Will rewind give me my shared folders back if it is ME that did the share? 

The article does not explain how to find the restoration link.  

Tried again to put in email support but it would not take it with the events link I got from Twitter,. SO NOT SURE HOW TO DO A CORRECT LINK?

Twitter support told me to contact email support but I can't get the ticket to go through since it keeps telling me this link is invalid - 

https://www.dropbox.com/events

I'd SO much appreciate help, thanks so much.

9 Replies 9

Re: Need Help rewinding-MOST FOLDERS MISSING-HELP!!

Nancy
Dropboxer

Welcome to the forum, @Debra K.4, and I’m sorry to hear about the situation.

I’d like to ask couple of things, so that I can understand the issue better; first off, are the missing folders personal or shared? If they were shared, did somebody else have edit access to them? 

Second, did you try to perform a rewind via the steps outlined here

Finally, did you face an issue while trying to open a ticket/email via this link? If yes, please try to open a ticket via another browser, and let me know if that worked. 

Keep me updated.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Debra K.4
Explorer | Level 4

Hi and thank you, Nancy.

My folders are all personal, but I have shared some with others.  I don't know, offhand if I gave anyone edit access or how to check that.

I did not do Dropbox rewind because I could not get any answers to my questions so I started restoring them from the dropbox deleted files folder.   TAKING FOREVER, plus I have the deleted files folder open in two windows on chrome, one has 3 files listed and the other has many more also.  

How do I know if I get everything back?   It's been going all day.   Chat support has the screenshots and a lot more info, but they told me to open a ticket instead, which I did and am still waiting.   I am blown away this could happen and I have no idea why it happened!

How can I get a copy of my chat log?

How do I backup Dropbox files to another place from now on, so I actually have a backup if this ever happens again? 

And yes, the issue was on that link....the actual  link on that page to find out how to  get the "restoration link" is incorrect, it does not tell you how to get it! Chat told me to change my issue to OTHER so it went through, so I also have a support ticket now, but please help if you can, because nobody else is!

Thanks,

Deb

Hannah
Dropboxer

Hey @Debra K.4, sorry to see you're having trouble with your files getting deleted.

If you'd like to know which device the files were deleted from, you can restore one of the files and then check the version history for it. It will show you the name of the device.

And as for restoring the files, you can definitely do a rewind, or you can restore individual deletion events, which will restore multiple deleted files at a time.

You can see all your account's events here and you should be able to see all the deletions in groups of files.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Debra K.4
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks so much for helping, Kelly!

I just tried that with a file I restored and all it said was what date I added it.  There was no history, strange right?

I really WOULD like to know what device it was from!

And now I am going into the shared folders and trying to restrict access....is there a time-efficient way to do this?

Thank you,

Deb

Hannah
Dropboxer

Hey Debra, thanks for getting back to me.

Hmm, strange that you don't see the version history for a restored file. Is that the case for all the files you restored?

Can you send a screenshot of an example file's version history?

As for restricting access to shared folders, I'm afraid that it's folder specific, so you'd have to go through each one.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Debra K.4
Explorer | Level 4

How do I send them to you?  I really don't want to post the screenshots here.  Thanks, Deb

Hannah
Dropboxer

Would you like me to send you an email, to the address you have here on the Community, Deb?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Debra K.4
Explorer | Level 4

Yes, thank you,

Hannah
Dropboxer

No worries, Debra, I just emailed you, so make to get back to me, when you get a chance.

Thanks!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    Debra K.4 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?