cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Year's day deleted files. Where to locate them?

New Year's day deleted files. Where to locate them?

John w1
New member | Level 2

Hi : all my files seemed to be deleted at 0100 on 1/1/23 ; I am wondering if this was a general issue? Did anyone else suffer this.

I have since recovered them fortunately

thanks John

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II

Hi @John w1 

As this place is very quiet we can assume its not a Dropbox issue - plus there are fail safe systems in place to stop that. 

If, after you restore one, you click on 'See version history' it'll show where the deletion command came from which may help with your troubleshooting

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mooregirl416
Explorer | Level 3
Hello, I mostly use my Dropbox for my little girls professional photos (their first year). I went on last night and saw 3 of the files just disappeared and I don’t know why or how. If someone could please please help me, I need the pictures of my babies. Thank you

Mark
Super User II

Hi @Mooregirl416 

What does www.dropbox.com/events show?

As long as they were removed in last 30 days you can restore from there. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mooregirl416
Explorer | Level 3
I checked and it doesn’t have 2 of the 3 of them even on there. They weren’t even removed. But one of them when you do try to open it, it says daughters 6 month pictures this type of file can’t be viewed. I haven’t had any issues ever. And I download all their pics here, and am just now getting to print them and they just vanished 😞

Mark
Super User II

Oh dear 😞

So few possible scenarios - they were deleted over 6 months ago (which is limit that screen shows for free accounts), or, they were never actually fully uploaded for whatever reason. 

For the one saying it cannot be viewed try and download it to a device and make sure it has an extension on the file name (i.e. a .jpg or .jpeg etc.)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Mooregirl416 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?