cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox folder structure changed

New named Dropbox structure

t4ngml
Helpful | Level 6

I am a user of DropBox Business, on Windows 10.

Last week, I suddenly realized that the shortcuts to some of my Dropbox folders were broken.

A quick look learned me that the structure had changed.

While I used to access my folder through:

C:/User/{username}/Dropbox (COMPANY NAME)/, I can now find them at:
C:/User/{username}/{COMPANY NAME} Dropbox/MyFirstName LASTNAME/

Now, both structures seem to remain while the first one is now a hidden shortcut (although I can't seem to see where it links to).

So that I don't really know where my files actually are.

Is this change documented anywhere?

Thanks

After a couple of days, I realized this happened to all of this Dropbox Business users across the company, Mac and Windows, and that it messes up with backup strategies.

I didn't find anything about this new structure in DropBox's changelog.

147 Replies 147

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi all - thanks for your patience while we looked into this from our side. 

In short, it seems that you received the upgrade mentioned in this Help Center article on your business accounts recently. 

If you happen to be a team admin, you should have received an email regarding this upgrade. 

I hope this clears things up!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

FrancesERA
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

I work for a small organization with only 10 staff members. We run statistical code that all of us share, so our file path names are important and have to remain stable. Last night, all of our computers changed the file path names from "C:\Dropbox (Enrollment Research)\" to "C:\Enrollment Research Dropbox\Staff Name\," which breaks everything. 

How can we get our file paths to go back to the simpler version?

Thanks!

frances

EMPBrian
New member | Level 2

I need to know this as well. It broke all of our links in our job tickets. There are thousands of tickets that we would need to change because of this.

FrancesERA
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you for responding and letting me know that it's not just us!

I've been looking online, and it appears that if you log into Dropbox online and go to All Files, you can tell Dropbox to move the shared folders out from under your name, which puts them back in the C:\Dropbox\ path instead of including your name. The name of our main Dropbox folder has changed, so we'll still need to update all of our code, but at least we won't have to add our names to each path every time any of us needs to use code.

Good luck!

Rich
Super User II

@FrancesERA wrote:

Last night, all of our computers changed the file path names from "C:\Dropbox (Enrollment Research)\" to "C:\Enrollment Research Dropbox\Staff Name\," which breaks everything.

This is due to your Business team being upgraded. Your team admin would have been notified prior to the change. You can read more about it here:

Once your team has been upgraded, there is no going back to the former folder structure. Your team admin could have postponed it for 30 days, but once upgraded, it's done.

LZiegler1
New member | Level 2

This morning Dropbox did a database update and all the folders in our work Dropbox are now under main folders with each users name. What has happened? Is this a new folder structure that Dropbox implemented? I cannot find anything about such a change.

MrColJ
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you!  

I came into the office today with some people saying they couldn't get on, others saying all their files were showing 0kb size.  Troubleshooting, I noticed all of my files have been moved from /dropbox/client/file.pdf to /dropbox/username/client/file.pdf.  So millions of files are not in their expected location. 

I haven't personally had it get in my way yet, but I'm confused as to where the world was told this was going to happen, and I'm scared to death with long file names.  Filename maximum is set to 256 characters on both operating systems, and that includes the folder structure.  So, for example, c://user/colin/dropbox (company name)/First Last/client/filings/initial/2022/June/2022_06_30 Spreadsheet of Outstanding Invoices.xlsx is 130 characters.  In a business, it doesn't take much for at least one file to magically hit 256 and not sync; we face it all the time.  And now that's effectively a different number for each person—since my name is 11 characters, a space and a slash, my max is now 243.

Our office is mostly Macs, and so far everyone affected has been on a Mac.  But the new root feature/bug is on the browser also, so I'm not sure that being on a Mac is related.

MrColJ
Helpful | Level 5

I just spent time with Customer Service chat.  It's a feature, not a bug!  It only applies to Dropbox for Business customers, and yes, will mean your computer will re-download everything.

Upcoming Business Team Changes 

As you can see from the link above, we are told to be excited about it (but without any actual reasons.)

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @LZiegler1, @MrColJ, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

It sounds like your Dropbox Business team has recently upgraded to the new team space.

Your team admin would've received an email about this change and how to prepare the team for the upgrade.

You can read more about the team space in this article on the new structure for the team.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jeff6677
New member | Level 2

This folder structure has crippled my company this week and has create chaos and confusion. Your rollout of this new 'feature' has been a disaster. 

Need more support?